Sugar/Carb Detox

Tirza T.
on 5/21/13 3:30 am
VSG on 01/17/12

Yesterday, was my first day back on track on my journey to remove my regain. I have been eating and doing whatever and whenever I wanted. So thankfully, I was able to stick to my plan no problem thanks to Kairk's advice by picking up on the low carb Veggies.

However, my head is killing me and I feel lightheaded. Anyone who doesn't believe we can be addicted to food or specifically carbs or sugar... let me just tell you,  this horrible detox I am experiencing begs to differ. I figure it will only last 1 or two more days so I am going to just brave through it. But, this is definitely a real thing. As I was in the store buying frozen fish and veggies I could feel my stomach turn and my taste buds beg for the icecream that was next to it. If for nothing else, I will proceed with removing this excess sugar from my life because the thought of not having control of myself or what I want and how it physically does things to my body and mind makes me sick!

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/13 3:42 am

Yes, this is totally normal and mine lasts about four days.  I hate this feeling so much, that it helps me keep the carbs out so that I don't have to go through it again.  Good luck to you, you can do it and it does get easier.  I find that if I drink more and increase my protein and fat, I do better during that first week.  Take care.

Tirza T.
on 5/21/13 3:49 am
VSG on 01/17/12

Thanks for the advice Elina!

Female, Height 5'6"
HW&Surgeon Consult Weight: 330 lbs. SW: 294 CW:
hollykim
on 5/21/13 6:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I am totally addicted to sugar and carbs and actually have to work an abstinence program where they are concerned. 100,000,000 is not enough and one bite is too many.

You are correct thT IT IS A TRUE ADDICTION AND THE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS FROM SUGAR CAN BE AS BAD AS THOSE FROM COCAINE. tHE HEADaCHE ETC IS PERFECTLY NORMAL AND WILL PASS AS LONG AS YOU DON'T FEED YOUR ADDICTION. one BITE WILL PUT YOU right TO SQUARE ONE. Whoops sorry...

i too hat the thought /feeling of being the ***** of anyone/thing and try t=really hard to  xstay clean. it is possible.

GL and hang in there.

Tirza T.
on 5/21/13 6:41 am
VSG on 01/17/12
Thanks hollykim.
hollirrose
on 5/21/13 9:35 am
VSG on 04/21/12
Detox is killer. The cravings..the headache...the depression. The "low carb flu" sucks. It only lasts about 3 days for me. Then I feel clear, full of energy, not hungry...and just a lot better. I stayed "on plan" 99% of the time while losing...not because of the stall... Because the way I felt after eating carbs and detoxig. Someting really had to be worth it and I found that not much was. Hang in there!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/13 9:35 am

Glad the veggies are working. As for the headache and withdrawal, damn right they are real! Push the water - I mean really pu**** It'll help the detox go faster and it will keep you feeling full, too. A little Tylenol or Advil with help with the headache, if it gets bad enough and you feel comfortable taking it. Remember keep plenty of protein coming and if needed, add some healthy fats to keep you feeling sated!

Very proud of you for going past the ice cream! That must have been hard today! You are going through a true and honest substance withdrawal. Keep up the good fight. We are all behind you.

Thinking good thought for you!!!!! Good luck - though I know you have this.

snowbaby
on 5/21/13 11:22 am - Durango, CO

I have heard that increasing your sodium helps with detox symptoms. Here is info from Atkins.com that also applies:

In the first week or two after you begin the Atkins Diet, your body makes a number of adjustments, after which you’ll have gained the metabolic advantage we call the Atkins Edge. However, in those first few weeks, as your body makes the transition to burning primarily fat for energy, you might encounter a few symptoms. The most common are headaches, dizziness, weakness, fatigue—sometimes referred to as Atkins flu—and constipation. Fortunately, all are pretty easy to avoid.

Cutting Carbs Flushes You Out

Consuming lots of carbs makes you retain water, but shifting over to fat-burning has a diuretic effect. As a result, you excrete salt along with fluid. If you used to feel bloated and no longer do, that’s a good thing. And if you have high blood pressure, the diuretic effect may mean that your numbers will come down nicely in the first few days or weeks. But for many of the rest of us, fluid loss can be too much of a good thing.

Salt Is Not a Bad Thing

Salt is essential to life and well-being. The symptoms described above are not the result of the diet—too little carbohydrate, too much protein, or whatever. The real problem is the lack of just a daily pinch of sodium. Yes, individuals who are sensitive to salt may experience bloating and high blood pressure if they eat lots of salt. But interestingly, these conditions are most pronounced when people eat high-carb diets—in part, no doubt, because so many processed foods are extremely high in salt. Adapting to the low-carb state fundamentally changes how your system handles nutrients that might cause problems in a high-carb setting.

How to Manage the Problem

To restore the balance of fluids and salt—and stop most symptoms before they begin—in addition to consuming 12 to 15 of your daily grams of Net Carbs as foundation vegetables, simply drink plenty of water and consume adequate salt. Normally salting food to taste is not adequate. Instead:

1. Don’t wait until you experience symptoms. Beginning on your first day on Atkins, follow one of the regimens below and continue it until your carb intake exceeds 50 grams of Net Carbs.

2. If you opt for broth, drink one cup in the morning and another in the midafternoon. Ideally, make your own chicken, beef or vegetable broth, but otherwise use regular (not low-sodium) canned or tetra pak broth or a bouillon cube dissolved in water. If you’re going to be exercising vigorously, drink one portion about an hour beforehand.

3. If you opt for salt instead, measure out the 1/2 teaspoon in the morning and sprinkle it on food throughout the day, being sure to use it all.

4. If your choice is soy sauce, consume a total of 2 tablespoons of the regular (not low-sodium) kind daily in at least two portions as a condiment or ingredient in meals.

Another Approach

If you’re taking a diuretic medication or have been advised to restrict your salt intake, consult your physician before adding sodium to your diet. Meanwhile, be sure to eat the recommended amount of vegetables and sufficient protein with every meal, as well as drink enough fluids and take your supplements. If symptoms do crop up or remain, you may want to temporarily increase your intake to 25 grams of Net Carbs by eating more foundation vegetables. Or have some nuts or seeds or even a half-cup of tomato juice, which you would not normally have until Ongoing Weight Loss. Once you feel better, eliminate these foods for the time being and return to 20 grams of Net Carbs to speed your weight loss. Follow this advice, and you’re far unlikely to experience discomforting symptoms when starting Atkins.

Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

Tirza T.
on 5/21/13 8:29 pm
VSG on 01/17/12
Thanks for the posts they were great and I really appreciate them!
butrflygrl_67
on 5/22/13 3:47 am - Fredericktown/Mansfield, OH

i'm really needing to do this..what have you been eating to get started?

Most Active