Closing in on 6 years out!!!

celticfaery
on 5/22/13 5:23 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

My how the times flies!

June 5th...  a measly 2 weeks away makes my 6 year surgiversary.  And boy have I learned a lot.

My highest weight was 425.  The sleeve got me down to 236 for about 2 seconds and then the weight kept creeping back on.  Of course I returned to a lot of old bad eating habits with little added justifications thrown in...  1/2 a burger is better than a whole one.  2 slices of pizza is better than a whole large...  you catch my drift.

So...  For those of you who don't know me.  I'm the one who gained!!!  I gained back 117 lbs of the 189 I had fought soooooo terribly hard to lose.  I tried a million times to get back on the wagon.  Protein first, no carbs...  Back to basics...  but I could never manage to stick with anything for more than a few weeks.  And I could never re-create that success I had once had with my sleeve. 

Depressed and at the end of my rope, I decided to revise and add the Duodenal Switch.  This was not a decision I made lightly.  I researched this VERY drastic procedure for several years before even making an appointment for a consultation. 

So in October, I went to the Dark Side kiss and have since lost 91 of the 117 I'd gained.  From 353 back down to 261 in 7 1/2 months.  I'm still learning and adjusting with the DS, but I'm just thankful to be losing again.

There is one thing I'd like to address... I don't know if things are different now than how they were 6 years ago...  but my VSG surgeon told me that all I would need for vitamins is 2 Flintstone chewables a day.  Well, I was always bad about taking vitamins.  Took them off and on (mostly off).  But I was bad about keeping up with it.  I had no follow-up with my surgeon so I just left it alone.  Going in to my DS, when I finally had labs pulled, I found a whole host of deficiencies.  My Vitamin D level was so low that I received an infusion after my surgery.  That was just one of many including VERY low iron levels.

So...  all that to say...  Be proactive about your health.  Have your PCP pull FULL vitamin panels on you at least once a year.  Even though there is no rerouting for sleevesters, you CAN and WILL malabsorb nutrients.  As a DSer, I take close to 50 vitamins a day.  Had I been more proactive about my vitamin levels when I was first sleeved, I wouldn't have to take near as much.

Learn from my mistakes and don't let it happen to you.  And don't allow yourself to go back to old eating patterns.  Don't justify smaller portions because they got you fat once...  those foods will do it again!

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

Islandertra
on 5/22/13 5:39 am - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13

Thanks for sharing , I am only 1 week out and I think I took a lot out of what you said. I am sorry to hear that you have had to struggle so much , but am glad to hear that you are back to  a healthier you !  Hang in there you can do it !   Tracy

Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am not going to waste it !!!  Tracy

celticfaery
on 5/22/13 5:51 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Good!!!  If I can reach just one person, then I'd consider that success!  kiss

Ms Shell
on 5/22/13 5:39 am - Hawthorne, CA

You know I get all warm and fuzzy over vitamin talk =)

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

celticfaery
on 5/22/13 5:50 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Don't I know it!!! 

This woman has been trying to force feed me vitamins over the internet for the first 5 years!!! 

Listen to her cause I wish I had!!!

Still Fawn
on 5/22/13 6:06 am - SIERRA MADRE, CA
Hey woman! I am so glad that you decided to revise, because the sleeve is not magic and some people need the malabsorbtion, and because you deserve to get to where you want to be. You were always such a positive motivator for people on this board, and I am glad that you got your health in check more than anything else. Hugs and cheers- I know you will get to where you want to be!

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

celticfaery
on 5/22/13 10:49 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Looking back...  I probably should have done it to begin with or when I was 1 year post-op from the sleeve.  That's when I quit losing.  But when I had my sleeve, I didn't realize that I had metabolic disorders keeping my body from being as efficient as it needed to be.  Oh well...  Hindsight is always 20/20.  I'm just glad I did it and that my health is my priority now.  Sure it's great to lose weight...  but I want to be healthy!  And that means taking care of ALL of me!

Hugs, chicky!!!

NotLookingbacknow
on 5/22/13 6:19 am - NJ

Thank you so much for sharing!  You have scared the daylights out of me and that's a good thing!  I was trying for the DS but my insurance would not approve because I needed to be at a 50 BMI (I was at 49) so I took this as a sign.  I was sleeved on April 2 and am down 38 lbs.  Please continue to be well and take care of yourself.

celticfaery
on 5/22/13 10:51 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12

Well I just hope that reinforces what you need to do to take care of yourself as well!!! 

Congrats on your 38 lbs gone!!!  Keep up the great work!

Deckeriv
on 5/22/13 6:34 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Sorry you didn't get support from your surgeon six years ago. I had to sign a contract with my surgeon that included the commitment of follow-ups and labs for life. The sleeve is not a magic bullet and if you don't pay attention, weight gain can happen. After all, we were all fat because we know how to eat, it's the one thing I've always been good at.

My sister had the DS and she is still skinny after 12 years. It works, but she had a little regain because she can eat around that too. Therapy might help with your eating disorders before the honeymoon period is over.

Good luck. Your wonderful attitude screams that you will be successful.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Most Active