Tickle in throat

angdenise
on 6/1/13 2:02 pm - IN
VSG on 05/28/13
Hi... I am 4 days post op and just today started to get an itchy tickle in my throat. It's keeping me awake coughing. Has anyone had this? What was it? How did u treat it?

wink~~~Angie~~~

**Revised to a Sleeve Gastrectomy 5/28/13

pineview01
on 6/1/13 2:13 pm, edited 6/1/13 2:14 pm - Davison, MI

Could be from the tube they put down your throat.  I had it from the get go.  I drank a lot of hot tea at room temp.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Calking
on 6/1/13 2:40 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I like the idea of drinking hot tea as well.  More specifically Chai tea if you have it.  The reason for that choice is that usually Chai tea has clove in it and clove will actually help numb the throat somewhat.  I find the spices are comforting as well.  Even a nice Vanilla Chai is good to mellow the spices a little and still get the benefits of clove.  In many parts of the country right now allergy season is starting up and this could be the cause as well.  

Believe it or not I have also heard that saline nasal spray is helpful.  I guess spraying the salt up through the nose clears it as well as some of that salt solution will go on down the throat.  I guess the basic idea is similar to gargling with fairly warm sal****er.  

I recently had a tickle and tried the nasal spray as well as antihistamines for allergies and drinking a lot of Chai tea and it went away within a day or two ... this is a new experience for me as usually the tickle is the start of worse things to come.  I nailed it early on and apparently with the right things.

If you don't have Chai tea but do have clove then you can add the clove to any tea with some cinnamon to help with flavoring.

Good luck.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

angdenise
on 6/1/13 3:54 pm - IN
VSG on 05/28/13
Thanks all. It's not an allergy tickle. I've been an allwegn sufferer for years lol. I have been sipping hot beverages but not chai (I don't like chai or anuthing with a strong clove taste). Thanks again.

wink~~~Angie~~~

**Revised to a Sleeve Gastrectomy 5/28/13

linzeelee
on 6/1/13 3:29 pm - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13
Yes! I had this too around 4 days post op. Went away after a couple days. But the coughing hurt!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Jennifer7082
on 6/2/13 1:05 am

I'm so glad that you asked this question, We had surgery on the same date and I have been experiencing this for the last two days. I tried drinking and it wasnt relieved. I'm not sure if this would be ok with the docs but I just sucked on a sugar free lifesaver long enough to make it stop.

Islandertra
on 6/2/13 1:58 am - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13

Hi I had surgery a couple of days before Lindsey and I also had the annoying tickle . I believe it is from the tube down your throat. I think they may numb your throat a bit before they put the tube in and when the numbing goes away you end up with the tickle. Mine did go away in a few days . But the the coughing can sure hurt...good luck and hope it goes away soon.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am not going to waste it !!!  Tracy

Most Active