NSV Running Around the Block

dmhe
on 6/7/13 5:31 am - TX

I don't post much anymore because work has gotten busy again and I spend more time doing than reading.  Last night I just felt like running.  I guess that is kind of an NSV in itself, I felt like running...who am I?

It occurred to me as I was running around the block last night,  that last year at this time, I could barely walk around this block.  I did not want to walk around the block much last summer, even at night, because it was hot, or I was tired or it hurt, to freaking walk....it hurt to walk, my right foot hurt so bad that I bought some Orthoheels tennis shoes.  They were the only shoes I could wear to work and not be in pain.  I don't need those shoes anymore (& they are too big).  I can walk for miles and miles and my feet never hurt anymore.

I kept seeing my shadow on the ground in front of me in from the street lights and I almost don't recognize it anymore.  I forgot what shape I was.  I actually have a pretty nice hour glass shape and I am pretty tiny now.  Usually I only focus on the loose skin (it is not that bad) but you can't see loose skin in my shadow, my running down the block shadow.  I am coming up on one year July 24 and it bring tears to my eyes that I was so lost in that body for so long.  Why did I wait so long to do this?  I was scared and ashamed to admit that I needed help and actually very resistant to the idea that I needed surgery to get where I am not.  After all, I was an aerobics instructor in college...

So as I ran around that block last night, I was really proud that the same block I was very slowly walking around after surgery is now the same block I will keep running around to stay strong.  I never learned to run as a child because I had severe asthma and the medications weren't very good, so running was always viewed as painful and miserable.  I still don't love it, but I am going to keep trying it, because I notice that it is getting easier and easier.  So now, I don't hate running and I am enjoying my life more every day.

luvstar0613
on 6/7/13 5:56 am - NY
VSG on 06/03/13

That is amazing and gives me hope.. especially because I know you also had a torn ACL that you got reconstructed!  I am in the same situation and really want to become a runner one day!

*Alana*   HW: 277.3, SW:267.8 

Pre Op: -9.5, M1: - 21.8, M2: -12.8 M3: -11.4 M4: -12.7 M5:-13 M6: -8.4 M7 - 14.4 M8: -4.6

dmhe
on 6/7/13 6:01 am - TX

Surprisingly, the running is not bothering my knee.  I tried to do Zumba the other night and that is harder on my knee than the running!  I had the ACL 12/28/12 and I am doing great.  I don't think I will ever play soccer again either, but we will see...

Nancybefree
on 6/7/13 6:08 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Terrific NSV!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

debk21
on 6/7/13 8:06 am - Mansfield, TX

That's just beautiful and so are you!  I love this..."I felt like running...who am I?"  I think you look fabulous and according to me, the shar pei look is in...I'm getting a spiked collar and rolling with it!  Congrats Hon and thanks for posting!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

singdoremi
on 6/7/13 8:21 am - NJ
That is great! Inspiration for someone who just got home from the hospital yesterday afternoon. Thanks!

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

Trish151
on 6/7/13 9:23 pm - TX
VSG on 05/30/12
I can relate. I love running now and miss it if I don't go. When I started, I was 5'1", 265 lbs. My feet would hurt so bad. I knew I had to get out there but I was so embarrassed. I put on my sunglasses and my headphones. I felt a little protected if people couldn't see my eyes and the music help shielded me from having to listen to people yell rude comments from cars. I've lost 116 lbs and I have had so many people that I didn't know from my walking path stop me and tell me how great I look. The other day a lady in one of the yards I pass stopped mowing her lawn and approached me. She asked how much weight I had lost. When I told her, she asked if I was the same blonde lady that used to walk out there last year. I said yes. She got all excited and hugged me all hot and sweaty. It is so awesome. Congrats on your NSV.
Most Active