Did your hair get curly after surgery?

SophieNJ
on 6/11/13 3:13 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I agree, very interesting!!  I always had curly, frizzy, out of control hair, which for the last few yrs has been thinning.....now at 60, mostly grey, but started out as brunette.....it will be fun to see if I'd be lucky enough to have it go straight! LOL  I sure hope so...but, if not, I'll be happy just to have what I do have grow back in, once I go through the hair loss period.  Yes, the greys do take on a different texture, thicker...

good luck everyone, with our hair issues! The weight may leave, but we'll always have hair issues, right? LOL

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

Linda B.
on 6/11/13 12:41 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I had really thick, wavy hair pre-op, now it is thinner, more grey, and frizzy. I am using a flat iron most days to take it a bit. My regular hair guy had a stroke so I have to go see someone else. Planning on changing things up soon.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

sweetsue12172012
on 6/12/13 2:27 am - TX

I have been wanting to post about this phenomena but just have not had the time. I had curly hair before VSG, people would always ask me who my hair dresser was since my perms looked so natural and healthy. I would tell them it is natural and I only get it cut and add some gel and go! Well......that has all changed for me! Now everyone is asking why I am straightening my hair. Seriously! I am not doing this but my hair is straight as a board. And forget trying to curl it Lol! 

linzeelee
on 6/12/13 3:06 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Oh no! I hope I don't lose my curls. It took me over 20 years to learn to appreciate them.

Every since surgery though, my hair has been flatter. I haven't started losing hair yet, but it's flat and lifeless.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Pistolpuppy
on 9/7/22 7:18 pm

I have fine short hair. I had 2 knee replacement surgeries. The first surgery was in 2012 at age 65 and I didn't notice much difference in my hair. Fine light brown (colored to blonde), some waves around the bangs area and not much grey. I had the 2nd surgery in Feb 2019 and have been fighting tight finger waves (like in the Roaring 20's) from ear to ear ever since, not to mention TONS of grey. In general, ALL of my hair is determined to wave and/or curl and using a flat iron only provides temporary results. It does seem like the waves and curls have gotten more intense with each passing year. I, too, have gotten straightening procedures but since the finger waves are so close to my scalp, it's difficult to start the straightening too close to my scalp due to the heat of the flat iron. Since I wear my hair short, the procedure doesn't last very long. I think the Egyptians had it right - shave your head and wear a wig! LOL.

White Dove
on 9/7/22 10:12 pm, edited 9/7/22 3:13 pm - Warren, OH

Long ago I was a hair stylist. I have seen hair go from straight to curly after anesthesia. Back then it was common to be put out for childbirth so I saw it happen to young mothers. I also saw the opposite of curly to straight. I never did perms or relaxers close to surgery.

Sort of a mystery and only happens to some.

l

l

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Jansthin
on 9/12/22 9:16 pm
RNY on 05/14/14

Yes! My wavey hair has turned curly?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views