Sleeve and Regain

MadlyInLovewithChees
e

on 6/15/13 3:05 pm
VSG on 11/25/13 with

I keep reading that those who undergo sleeve are more likely to regain than those who undergo bypass.  Have any of you experienced regain?  How long have you been post op? 

mickeymantle
on 6/15/13 3:14 pm, edited 6/15/13 3:28 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the newest reports say that is not true, the sleeve works for ever but the rny losses the malabsorbstion in a few years

as long as you follow a good plan you will continue to lose if you cheat after any surgery you can gain

there is no known safe medical way that guarantees you will lose all the weight and keep it off, it is up to to follow a good plan

and not cheat

you will not gain eating 600-800 cal

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

sleevegirl
on 6/15/13 3:27 pm - Austin, TX

I think he meant "malabsorption" instead of Marboro - LOL, great auto correct issue :)

But he's right. RNY does lose the malabsorptive properties around 2 years. You CAN stretch your sleeve or pouch if you really try. I think both surgeries are great, it matters more what your commitment is to the one you choose.

Good luck with your choice :)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

MacMadame
on 6/15/13 3:59 pm - Northern, CA

People say all sorts of stuff. Doesn't make it true. LOL

Long term weight loss with sleeve and RnY is very similar. If anything, I think regain is more of an issue with RnY because there is malabsorption with that surgery that goes away. Plus the stoma tends to enlarge and that means satiety lessens. My experience with the sleeve is that I can't eat any more now at 4.5 years out than I could at 1 year out.

And I haven't had any real regain.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

hollirrose
on 6/15/13 9:20 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
I have known banders, bypass, and sleevers who have regained. No matter what surgery you have it is abou****ching what you eat every single day...it is about commitment. Sounds simple but most of us who qualify for wls have food issues. They dont dissaper with surgery. =). I lost 205 lbs in less than a year. I am only about 14 months out. No regain...yet.
happyteacher
on 6/15/13 11:06 pm

I have no problem with regain and have been maintaining for 10 months.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

acbbrown
on 6/16/13 12:55 am - Granada Hills, CA

I am 2 years out and trying to get a 20lb regain off....but mine had nothing to do with the sleeve  - just my own food issues and bad choices. Now, pre-op, that 20 lb gain would have certainly been 100 lbs....soooo, the sleeve does help to some extent, but its all mental and comes down to commitment. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

MadlyInLovewithChees
e

on 6/16/13 1:06 am
VSG on 11/25/13 with

i've read that your stomach can permanently expand after surgery - this terrifies me!

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/13 4:03 am
You have to understand that every sleeve or pouch gets bigger after surgery. Right after surgery your new stomach is very swollen and inflamed. It won't hold much at all. As you heal the capacity increases until eventually you end up with a mature sleeve or pouch. Rule of thumb is that a sleeve will generally increase about three times its post surgery size. That means that a sleeve that can hold about 2 oz (1/4 cup) out of the gate will end up holding about 6 oz or about 3/4-1 cup of food by volume. I'm 18 months out and that is pretty much my capacity. It hasn't really changed since about 10 months post surgery.

BUT..... If I chose to eat calorie dense and highly processed foods (cookies, chocolate, breads, pastas, ice creams, mochas, lattes, pizza, etc.....) I will gain weight just as I did before. I have to COMMIT to EATING the RIGHT FOODS to make this work long term.
(deactivated member)
on 6/16/13 8:16 am
VSG on 06/04/12
On June 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM Pacific Time, kairk wrote:
You have to understand that every sleeve or pouch gets bigger after surgery. Right after surgery your new stomach is very swollen and inflamed. It won't hold much at all. As you heal the capacity increases until eventually you end up with a mature sleeve or pouch. Rule of thumb is that a sleeve will generally increase about three times its post surgery size. That means that a sleeve that can hold about 2 oz (1/4 cup) out of the gate will end up holding about 6 oz or about 3/4-1 cup of food by volume. I'm 18 months out and that is pretty much my capacity. It hasn't really changed since about 10 months post surgery.

BUT..... If I chose to eat calorie dense and highly processed foods (cookies, chocolate, breads, pastas, ice creams, mochas, lattes, pizza, etc.....) I will gain weight just as I did before. I have to COMMIT to EATING the RIGHT FOODS to make this work long term.
That is the key! No matter how much or how little you can eat, it's all about your choices.
Most Active