Liquids and Sleeve...

MadlyInLovewithChees
e

on 6/26/13 5:13 am
VSG on 11/25/13 with

Does drinking too much in one sitting (like protein shakes or water), stretch your sleeve?

On a somewhat related side note, I'm having a hard time understanding how one can get 80 grams of protein in while only consuming 600-800 calories a day

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/13 5:18 am

1 gram of protein = 4 calories.

80 grams of protein = 320 calories.

See, not too hard to do. What's hard is finding where all the extra carbs are hiding in our foods!

VSG on 06/12/13

I think Frisco's recently-posted info about the pyloric valve will answer the stretching question. If the valve is closed, then stretching can occur, presuming the esophogeal sphincter doesn't release first/vomiting doesn't happen. The veterans can set me straight but the stretching comes from long term overfilling.

I will say that the times that I downed something too quickly, it was uncomfortable. I have strict instructions from my doc that 8oz of thin/clear liquids should be consumed over approximately a 1 hr time span. I'm ok with that if it means I stay comfortable.

The best analogy I have heard is the sink analogy. Think of a sleeved stomach like a sink.  If you dump a bowl of liquid in a sink, it backs up temporarily but clears quickly. If you dump a bowl of thick soup in a sink, it'll back up and clear more slowly. If you dump a bowl of pot roast in a sink, it won't clear.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active