One Year "Surgy" for Me...........and Something Less Pleasant

Italian-Princess
on 6/27/13 9:14 pm, edited 6/27/13 9:46 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Buon Giorno OH Family!

Been a little MIA lately -- unpleasant things to deal with -- more about that further down………

I'd planned on pix for this, too, but I'm using a different computer and don't have the pix loaded on this one, so maybe next time?

Well, exactly one year ago today we did some slicing and dicing and made a sleeve for me. Myrtle was born and my life has been one exciting science experiment after another..

The NSVs are too many to mention -- we all know what they are anyway……..airplane seats that we fit into and no need for seat belt extenders, crossing our legs, painting our own toenails (okay, maybe you guys don’t do that LOL), bending over and not having a huge tummy get in the way as we tie our own shoes, etc. I think the most FUN NSV has been discovering that I actually have bones in my body!!!! Who knew???? They are fun to feel and look at…….even the nicks from leg shaving seem worth it! The NSV I’m most grateful for is being off meds for all my comorbs. They are either in complete remission or stabilized. I’m grateful to the Great Spirit above for my blessings. And I thank my goddesses of all things green and good for sprinkling me with happy dust and pixie nuggets!!!

The SVs are also common knowledge -- hitting a personal goal, our surgeon’s goal, etc. I finally hit unmodified Obese in December 2012 (now getting close to just Overweight, too!) , found ONEderland in early April this year, and am 7 pounds from my Surgeon’s first goal for me. I’m 12 pounds from my first personal goal. And just yesterday, I joined the Century Club! So, since surgery, I’ve lost 100 pounds (113 pounds from my highest recorded back in May of last year) and also lost a total of almost 86 inches.  That’s over 7 feet around me that are gone! GADS I was definitely a MAJOR butterball!

My clothes sizes went from 28W (and an occasional 30W) to 14-16s for slacks and skirts and from 3X-4X to XL or just L now. The girls have suffered in shape, but they didn’t shrink much otherwise, so I think I’m grateful for that LOL Even my shoes size went from 8.5W to 7.5 M or even 7 M in really good shoes. It’s been so much fun doing recreational shopping in real stores where NORMAL people buy clothes! I’m enjoying being somewhat normal now 

Along the journey, I found so many wonderful people here and on MFP who have been generous with their encouragement and support……..some of you have cried with me and laughed with me and kept me sane when my life went bezonkers.  I love all of you who make up my new families.

I had the joy of meeting my first grandchild in May -- he’s an amazing kid already (I’m Grandma, you expected me to say he’s average??? LOL).

Food doesn’t seem to have a hold on me any longer (hope I’m not speaking too soon) -- or at least not for maybe the last 6 months. For example, right now, I have this lovely Kit Kat bar sitting on my desk and I have no desire to eat it. Why is it there? Well, that’s coming up.

From the get-go, Myrtle has been made of titanium! I could put anything I wanted into her and she went along nicely. If I gave her one bite too much, she’d give me a hiccup and I obeyed her warning and stopped. Then along came March this year and she started with the foamies and slimies and urpies and all those unpleasant things. That lasted about a week and then cleared up. April brought my Caribbean Cruise and I was back to those unpleasant issues on the ship. Once home, May went okay for a few weeks, then it started again.

Yeah, I know this is long, but the hard part is coming up and I’m delaying it. Finally, I had an Upper GI Barium Swallow and learned that I have a major stricture in my esophagus. Last week, along with a colonoscopy, they were to do an endoscopic dilation of my esophagus. They could not do the dilation as the opening was so small they couldn’t even put a wire through. They did do a biopsy of the mass that is causing the stricture. That’s where this gets bad…………I have esophageal cancer, Grade 3 and this is not a good thing at all. This afternoon, I am having a PET/CT scan which should provide information to my Oncologist as to whether the cancer has already spread to other tissue/organs.

I have plans to spend my 66th birthday in Las Vegas at the end of July. Once we have my blood tests and this PET/CT scan results, my Oncologist will tell me if that trip is going to happen or not. I’d really like to go because the procedures and treatments that I’ll endure don’t sound like much fun at all. Radiation and chemo prior to surgery, then more after surgery.

While I’m not delighted with this situation, I’m looking at it as another science experiment! Both my Surgeon and Oncologist want me to stop trying to lose weight for now -- hence the Kit Kat bar! They want me to have something low density but high calorie at least once a day. But I’m a brick brain and intend to try to continue to lose. Heck, I lose so slowly that they might not even notice! Really, though, I’m going to be as compliant as possible. That’s how I managed to lose the weight and it’s how I plan to beat cancer!

You know, I used to say that some day I would quit smoking, lose a bunch of weight and then get run over by a Mack truck.  Well, I quit smoking, lost a bunch of weight and guess what...........got hit by a Mack truck (disguised as cancer).........BAH HUMBUG!  I admit that I'm scared half stupid and I'm ANGRY........oh, so VERY ANGRY.

Trust this, though:  I’m a short, round, little old Italian lady who can be feisty and fierce and good at putting up a battle royal in this war against this insidious disease. I intend to win the war and ask you to keep good thoughts for me as I move forward.

I guess I mixed things up -- War and Science Experiment -- oh well, you who know me, know what I mean.

I want to thank those of you who have been here for me this past year. Thanks for reading my long posts. I hope I brought a smile or two along the way. But more than that, I hope I touched your hearts in some way the way so many of you have touched mine. Your kindness and love made getting to this point possible. Thank you so very much………….

Now I have to go look up the color ribbon for esophageal cancer -- then I’ll wear it with the pink one I wear for my BFF of over 40 years who is now 4 years clean of cancer. We’re going to have a competition -- but she’ll always be 4 years ahead of me

Just remember:  Life can be good even when the poop hits the fan!

Hugs,

Ree xoxox

Nikke2003
on 6/27/13 9:26 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Thank you for sharing your story. I do want to say congrats on your success so far, and then of course I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I don't know what else I can say or do other than give you virtual hugs and tell you that I'll be praying for you!!!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Italian-Princess
on 6/28/13 10:59 am, edited 6/28/13 11:00 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Thank you so much.  Hugs and prayers will get me through this

Just noticed.........you're approaching TWOterville!  Excellent!!!  Keep up the great work!

5' 1.5" Tall.............69 years YOUNG!!!! Esophageal cancer survivor.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/27/13 9:27 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Ree, I read your update on MFP earlier and thought, if anyone can do it, she can. You are one fiesty lady! Good thoughts and lots of positive energy going your way.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Italian-Princess
on 6/28/13 11:04 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Todah Rabah, Julia...........I can use all the good stuff anyone wants to send me!!!

Look at you............80% done.  You must be so excited about goal being within reach!  Great job!

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/13 9:31 pm

Wow, Ree, this is going to take me a bit of time to really absorb. 

I am so very sorry to hear about the cancer and can only imagine all the feelings that you are experiencing right now.  I know you will be the most compliant patient in history and you will take your stubborn streak and put it to good use. 

I want you to know that I am here for you anytime you need to talk or vent or cry or anything else. 

Honestly, I am just shocked right now and don't have the right words, it  there are any right words to find. 

Hugs my friend, just hugs.

Italian-Princess
on 6/28/13 11:08 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Todah Rabah, Elina.........means a lot to know I can count on you.  Yep, I get it -- taking me a chunk of time to realize this is real.  My goofy self keeps thinking that I'm a powerhouse and can punch this out.  Not sure about that at this point.  But I'm giving it everything I've got.  Plus I'm blessed with the most fabulous, caring, loving medical team.  Did I mention that not only is my Nephrologist a Dr. Hottie, but my new Oncologist makes me swoon?   LOL  Too bad I'm so darned old -- could be their Mom, but OMG.....makes appointments not so bad Hahahaha

Can't keep a lecherous old lady down for long, right?  LOL

Thanks for the hugs, too.........those work wonders

Ree xoxox

Bufflehead
on 6/27/13 9:33 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I am so terribly sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I know esophageal cancer is beatable (I have an uncle 20 years out from his diagnosis) but radiation, chemo, and surgery suck to put it mildly, as I am sure you know. It sounds like you have a superb medical team and support system to get you through it though.

I hope your PET/CT scan brings good news and that your treatment goes as smoothly as it can. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Italian-Princess
on 6/28/13 11:10 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Thanks for the good thoughts..........I know they help!  So happy to hear about your uncle -- gives me hope

woon
on 6/27/13 9:37 pm - WV

I read OH daily, however I rarely post.  I just wanted you to know that I am very moved by your post and every day when I log into OH this short,  not so round any more , woman from West Virginia will have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Most Active