Day 2 post-op... the gas is gone!

Jennifer L.
on 7/12/13 1:39 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

So Day two post-op and most of the gas pains are gone. As you read in my earlier post, passing gas feels unbelievable good now! haha I am still passing regularly and even had a few small BM's this evening! So I am sitting here drinking from my many liquids (I have three waters, an apple juice, and a gatoraid sitting next to me that I got to take from the hospital) and I am having no trouble getting them down. Yeah if I gulp too much I get some pain... and yes, every time I take a drink my stomach girgles all the way down and I feel funny sensations but nothing I would count as odd or even preventing me from being hydrated. 

My bougie (sp?) is 32 according to my surgeon so I thought I would be feeling more than I am right now. If I weren't so swollen from the IV's and around my abdominal (still gas getting out!) I would have thought they just poked holes in me  just to take hunger away and never did the surgery! lol Its a strange sensation knowing you need a sensation... feeling like you should feel differently. My stomach was a girgly stomach to begin with... so these weird noises aren't new for me. 

I also made the mistake of weighing myself... lol ok, not really a mistake. I was curious. I was 10lbs heavier than the morning I went in for surgery. haha I just weighed again and already lost 2lbs of that... so I think the water weight and swelling is going down. It was slighty amusing to see that jump, but I know it will go down soon enough so I am not upset. But it does bring back into question if they even did the surgery... LOL I kid I kid!

I do have some pain abdominally but mostly from where the drain was... the gas is fading away... and I am feeling decent! I can't wait for the swelling to go down so I can feel a bit more normal again. 

I miss my family. Mexico has been great but I am ready to hold my children!

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

themexcellentone
on 7/12/13 1:44 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Glad you are feeling better today!  I had my first BM today since Sunday and I have never been more excited to poop in my whole life!

You aren't going to feel restriction while on full liquids...I thought I would too but then I remembered Frisco's post about the pylorus and how liquid just passes through it.  I don't expect to feel restriction until I get to graduate to mushy foods here in about 2 weeks. 

Glad I'm not the only one with a talkative tummy...my sleeve has been talking away and it is really funny to hear!

I also weighed myself and found that I was 3 pounds heavier than I was the morning of surgery but I am not surprised.  I am retaining fluids right now, I think because I am at the midpoint of my menstrual cycle, plus I was given a steroid during surgery to prevent nausea (I LOVE MY DOCTOR, FOR REALS).  My ankles are the puffiest they have been since before I began pre-op dieting.  I hope it goes down soon because I am drinking like it's my job!

Ok, so I have a question, is your abdomen swollen and disfigured looking?  Because  mine looks really gross and disturbs me.  I hope it looks like this from the trauma of surgery and that it will return to a normal shape within the next week or so.  My husband says that it looks like someone took an ice cream scooper and scooped out part of my left side! :(  When I finally got in the shower for the first time post-surgery yesterday I was so sad to see it. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Jennifer L.
on 7/12/13 1:51 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

With the liquids, I hear so many people say they struggle getting the liquids in and I don't completely understand because I am not feeling anything weird other than betsy (I will name her betsy... lol) talking up a storm. Some pain if I gulp, but I mean a BIG gulp... (wasnt paying attention haha) but even then, it was for a second. My stomach did feel like a funnel of sorts. lol I could feel it slidding in, and then the pain would go away. And it wasnt pain as more it was discomfort. I just figured getting liquids in would be harder than this. 

Mine does look a bit odd... but it is swollen. The area where they had my drain looks odd and hurts more than any other part of my tummy. I am not sure how normal this is, but they checked me before I left so I am sure everything is ok. I think our tummies wont only look normal soon, they will look better than ever before we know it!

On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

cmgrayson
on 7/13/13 3:23 am
VSG on 06/25/13

Yes I have the 'scooped out' look on my left side, lol. Glad to see someone post about that. I'm almost 3 weeks out from surgery. 

themexcellentone
on 7/13/13 3:46 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I am so glad someone else knows what I'm talking about!  I am really distressed about this!  I cried about it last night because it is just so ugly! :(  My husband had to talk me down off the ledge, so to speak. 

hannahp
on 7/12/13 1:56 pm - MS

HEY -- lucky you!! My gas pain was there til about day 6 and I was miserable! Glad yours is leaving so quickly because to me that was the worst part.

Glad you are doing so well. Your recovery seems to be going so well! And, my stomach was swollen til about day 3. I didn't seen the scale drop past my surgery weight til day 4. (Yea, Yea, I was on the scale too - ha)

Hannah, 25

VSG: July 3, 2013

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." -C.S. Lewis

Jennifer L.
on 7/12/13 2:06 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Hahahaha I think we have all ignored that "stay away from the scale right after surgery" rule... lol But I was more curious. I wasnt expecting a loss, I just wanted to see what it said. haha

The gas WAS the worst part and I am thankful the worst was only on surgery day... I couldnt find any position to make it stop hurting!! Yesterday, I was able to move my body around and the gas wouldnt hurt as bad if I stayed still... lol that worked for a minute but the gas always found me again. lol I am just thankful I got it out! I walked like a villain! lol I mean I was up all the time to get the gas flowing. The nurses were wonderful and encouraged us... and all of us who were sleeved that same day, we were all on the same floor just a few doors away from each other and we would walk together. It was nice to have that kind of support while recovering. 

Nice to know the swollen stomach thing is normal! lol

Instagram

Machelle.K
on 7/12/13 2:12 pm - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I'm so glad that you are feeling so good. Your going to do great with your new sleeve! When do you get to go home?

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Jennifer L.
on 7/12/13 2:33 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Thank you! I was discharged from the hospital here in Tijuana earlier today. I am now in the hotel for tonight and tomorrow. I get to fly home on Sunday.

Instagram

themexcellentone
on 7/12/13 2:34 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with
Safe travels!

Most Active