Almond milk/allergies ???

f4eva
on 7/27/13 4:56 am

I see from a lot of posts that people use almond milk instead of regular (skim) milk.  Is there a reason for this?  I'm allergic to peanuts but was told I should stay away from nuts altogether.  Does this surgery change food allergies?  I was not allergic to anything before.

claimmaster
on 7/27/13 4:59 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

There are a LOT less carbs and calories in almond milk than there is in cows milk.  That's probably the main reason.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/27/13 5:13 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Unsweetened almond milk is only 40 calories a cup instead of the 110 in 1% milk AND helps cut the sweetness of powdered protein shakes. Also, many (not all) people on here prefer to avoid the carbs in regular milk.

I don't count carbs (but avoid crap carbs) so consider milk a protein source.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Calking
on 7/27/13 10:24 am
VSG on 05/31/12

As was mentioned before.  There are less carbs and calories in an unsweetened vanilla almond milk so most of us go with that. Usually there are only 30 to 45 calories per 8 oz. serving of unsweetened vanilla almond milk depending on which brand you purchase.

I do question why an allergy to peanuts would prevent you from having almonds.  Peanuts are technically not a nut but instead a legume.   However I am not a doctor and would never advise you to ingest anything that could prove bad for you.  You should question your doctor for more information on whether or not you may be allergic to almonds.  I did locate an online article that suggests that your previous advice was on the mark.  http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/nut-allergy

An alternate to almond milk would be coconut milk.  A company called So Delicious makes one and if you go to this link there is even an ability to download a coupon.  I think I have seen this for sale at Walmart.  Also Whole Foods carries these I believe.  http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-bevera ges/unsweetened

If you cannot locate one of those than another alternative to saving calories and carbs is a brand sold in Krogers and I think their sister stores may also carry them ... Ralphs.  This is the CarbMaster milk.  It has only 60 calories per 8 oz serving with 11 grams of protein and only 3 grams of carbs.  http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.imgur.com/IqobY sE.jpg&imgrefurl=http://imgur.com/IqobYsE&h=1280&w=960&sz=12 4&tbnid=FUSsCClhyCNZDM:&tbnh=120&tbnw=90&zoom=1&usg=__o6gvHu BpBQUJdNHVgbA2QhXjdpk=&docid=o2WcOJSQq3sBtM&sa=X&ei=sWP0UcTS MZC08QSl8YHQBg&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAQ&dur=297

I doubt that this surgery would change anything as far as allergies go.  I do know that sometimes people that are not lactose intolerant pre op will become so post op.  But as people get older they can become lactose intolerant as well.  So it may be just a coincidence that this happens post op as you would technically be older post op than you were pre op.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

pineview01
on 7/27/13 12:26 pm - Davison, MI

I do question why an allergy to peanuts would prevent you from having almonds.

I too wondered as I was told one didn't have anything to do with the other.  Tree nut are very different and peanuts, as stated, are legumes and come out of the ground.  Different allergens.

I too did developed a sensitivity to lactose during pre-op, post-op shakes made with milk and switched to almond milk.  Six months out and doing some milk as small, normal amounts don't bother me.  I still don't drink as much due to carbs.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

f4eva
on 7/27/13 12:35 pm

I was told to stay away from the other nuts because most of the time all of the nuts are either processed together or processed in the same place.  So even if I am not allergic to say almonds or walnuts, they most likely would have been processed at the same place as peanuts.

Thanks so much for the other options, I will certainly try them. 

Thanks to all of you for your responses - truly appreciated!

pineview01
on 7/27/13 1:43 pm - Davison, MI

That would make since than.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cajunlady1958
on 7/27/13 11:53 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
after surgery i became lactose intolerant so i use almond milk for that reason alone.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

VSG on 06/12/13
Also note that there is very little protein in almond milk. Drinking it straight up may help you with carbs but won't help you much with protein.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

pineview01
on 7/27/13 12:29 pm - Davison, MI

No but, mixing with protein "milky type" shakes taste better than water and is high in calcium which is another thing we need to increase.

Most Active