NSAIDS

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/13 2:55 am

There is no solid science between bands, sleeves, and DS not taking NSAIDs.  EVERYONE is at risk for ulcers, ops and non ops.  Some people are more prone to ulcers than others.  Surgery or not.  RNY should not really ever take an NSAID.

For years most doctors (that don't use bypass orders for all surgery types) have said NSAIDs are fine.  Now, with that said the ASMBS just came out with new guidelines for NSAIDs and they are (starting this year) claiming that no WLS person should take NSAIDs.  But the past president of the ASMBS that decided this is a little bit of a twit.  No, she's a big twit and I know her personally. I wouldn't dream of letting her touch me or make any medical decisions regarding my care.

So, you have to take the info, think about it, see if you have issues with NSAIDs, and do what is right for you.

VSG on 06/12/13
At my 6 week checkup, I was cleared to take any NSAID I wanted, within reason. I try to stick to tylenol for periodic use, but the doc said if I need to take something stronger/longer, I can take advil or aleve.

Presurgery, I was taking 2 naproxen 2x day for my knees. I went off of it 2 weeks before surgery as part of the hospital's presurgery protocol, but haven't needed it since. I took liquid children's tylenol as needed for the first 6 weeks.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active