How long did your incisions hurt AND food packaging/storage

theladyelsie
on 8/18/13 10:56 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

Hi everyone,

I will be 2 weeks post op tomorrow and I was wondering how long it took you guys before your stoma*****ision stopped hurting.  I have my longest incision on my left side and it still hurts quite bad.  I cannot bend over without doing some sort of weird modified version of the splits.  I can hardly get in and out of my car without being in a lot of pain.  The ride to work is painful.  I can only sleep in one position and yes even though i HATE taking medicine I am still at night time when I get home from doing whatever I'm doing taking some liquid vicodin just to take the edge off it.  

I saw my doctor a week ago, he says I'm doing great and I'm down 35 lbs since I started the liquid diet so I'm happy, I just am a little concerned and frustrated at this pain and wanted to get some perspective from other people who have been down this road.

I have one more question...

I would like to pack my lunches for work in very small containers and the smallest I've seen is 1/2 cup.  I was wondering how you all package your food for work/going away from the house.  I'm seeing from my early misteps how planning and preparation is so so important in this process and I'd really like to get organized and have a good system.  I've seen bento boxes and am interested in those but would love to hear other ideas as I have learned so much from reading this board already.

Thank you! :) 

sillymilly
on 8/19/13 12:30 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

I'm 4 weeks out and except for the occasional twinge, my incisions don't bother me.  And I pack my lunch and snacks in the small plastic storage containers.  I also have a box with 3 compartments that I put my food in sometimes, when everything I eat is going to be either cold or heated.  When they're served at different temperatures it's just easier to bring separate containers.

Recent lesson I learned - put the empty container on the food scale then zero it out, then add the food.  Make sure I bring the correct amount of food to work!  LOL

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

NewNatinIl
on 8/19/13 12:39 am

i'm 2.5 weeks out and I have one incision that is tender if my clothes rub against it. It will ache some if I'm in the car or sit for long periods of time. 

Someone posted this for storage:

http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=9792&catId=123&parentCatId=123&outletSubCat=

I bought some 2 ounce plastic cups--you know the ones that restaurants will put dressing in. they are good sizes.  I also have some ramekins that I like.  Rubbermaid has some small 3/4 cup containers with lids too.

emelar
on 8/19/13 12:42 am - TX

Your doc probably went through a muscle or nerve that's taking some time to heal.  If it's bothering you, call him and let him know.  But I suspect it's nothing serious.

TruemansMom
on 8/19/13 12:56 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I am 8 weeks out today, my incisions quit bugging me a couple of weeks ago. the nerve issues have finally gone away and they actually don't even look too bad.

for small containers I found Oxo makes some nice well-sealed 1 & 2 oz once (for sauces) I found at BB&B, but now the 1/2 cut Ziploc containers work fine. they just don't fit in my icebox lunch bag very well.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

linzeelee
on 8/19/13 1:41 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Containers: I used Rubbermaid ones. They are probably the half cup size. I measure or weigh everything that goes into them.

As for incisions, mine were sore for about a month. I started water aerobics up again at 4 weeks, and I remember having to take it easy because my abdominal muscles were still sore for about a week to 10 days. So by the 6 week mark, nothing really hurt. I do have one incision - the one above my navel - that is sensitive and gets sore if my pants rub on it.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

theladyelsie
on 8/19/13 6:21 am
VSG on 08/06/13

Thank you everyone, very helpful as usual!!! :) :)

themexcellentone
on 8/19/13 12:28 pm, edited 8/19/13 12:28 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

My incisions hurt for about 3 weeks.

As far as packing food for away from home...here is what I use:

They are Wean Green baby food containers.  I have found that each one holds about 2.5-3 ounces of food, depending on what it is--I weigh everything that I eat when I eat from home.  They're the perfect size and fit in my lunch bag.  Also I like that they are glass so they don't stain.  The tops lock shut and the containers do not leak.  I bought them on Amazon.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Most Active