If You Only Knew

jubigirl
on 8/30/13 6:53 am
VSG on 08/26/13

I've been lurking for months on this very informative site.  As soon as I decided to have the surgery I started researching and reading and in researching, I kept stumbling upon this forum.  I would love to know  from those that are veterans, and those that have had an ah ha moment since surgery, what is the one thing you wish you would have known before your operation?  We probably all know the obvious..small sips all day, vitamins, follow instructions from Dr. and nut.  But, what are some things that nobody told you and you had to learn on your own that you may be able to pass along to save someone problems or money?

I would love to learn more about your favorite vitamins, and how you came to like that brand, what's your favorite protein shake/powder, and why.  I'm sure there are a lot more little info bits that will come up and I'm sure us newbies will appreciate anything that's offered.

Thanks for continuing to share your knowledge which motivates and inspires those of us who have just begun our journey.

Kelli

Nikke2003
on 8/30/13 7:00 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Welcome! Congrats on your decision to have surgery!

My favorite protein shakes are the Chocolate Premiere Protein shakes that you can get from Sam's Club (at least around where I live). I actually never tried another brand.

I don't know how much advice I really have. I know that I wasn't prepared for the amount of attention that people give to me every time they see me when making a big deal about my weight. I was actually surprised that it was so easy to drink water after surgery and how I haven't had troubles with any kinds of foods (although that isn't the case for everyone)

I also wasn't prepared for the amount of money I would spend on clothes... I guess I never really wrapped my head around the idea that I would be dropping sizes so quickly.

Again, I'm not sure I'm giving you the kind of information that you want... but I had done a lot of research beforehand (like you are doing now) so I wasn't really surprised by much!

Again, welcome!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

michieluvsu
on 8/30/13 7:37 am - WA
Congrats and good luck! My favorite protein powder is Jay Robb. It doesn't get much press but I love it especially mixed with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. When going down in sizes just buy the basics because you won't be that size for very long. I tried to stick to Goodwill, and Consignment stores except for undies, bras, and shoes. Yes, I now wear smaller shoes too! Remember this is not a race, this is your journey and a new lifestyle. Everybody travels at their own speed.....This will be the ride of your life, enjoy!

Michele

71dart
on 8/30/13 7:44 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
If I only knew just how damn good I was gonna feel, I would have had a smile on my face earlier. Post-op recovery was a little rough and filled with a little regret. I would have started psychotherapy counseling sooner to better prepare myself for the changes.

Keep smilin'...

Tom

lil1inside
on 8/30/13 7:56 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Well, you will learn very much from this site, just keep reading & reading--you'll learn most everything.  I guess the things that I didn't learn until later (which I'm sure someone wrote about them, but I missed them) was 1) the chance I might have a drain tube after surgery.  I didn't really learn this until my pre-op appointment, where they explained it then as no one talks about it earlier-- it happens to some, but not everyone has one, I didn't have to after all.  2) the constipation now that I search for this I see tons on it, but in the beginning I didn't really know that this happens to most of us.  Being regular like clock work before surgery, I was a little hesitant to give up this up, I was so regular I really couldn't figure out how I'd gained weight in the first place. this has to be the one thing I miss more than food (really).  

Those are the only two things I can think of.  I'm happy to say I was one of the lucky ones and didn't have pain (I know most people don't believe this, but it's true), I got thru everything very surprisingly well and am glad to say that I am happy that I've had this done.  Best of luck to you on your journey.

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

jubigirl
on 9/2/13 10:35 pm
VSG on 08/26/13
I know so many people who, like you, are like clockwork. Maybe when your body adjusts, your regularity will resume.

Thanks for sharing your truth!!

Kelli
Nmmsg
on 8/30/13 9:26 am
VSG on 07/09/13
I wish I knew how good I would feel in a short time. I had no pain post op and have been blessed with a smooth recovery. I was worried I would not be able to follow the program. It was not a problem, at least no so far.

Th only time I lost weight this rapidly was after my children. The feeling of a lighter weight in such a short time is amazing. Everyday is a learning experience. I amstill getting used to portions and what I can reasonably eat ( alittle bit). I can only eat small amounts of dense protein but I have learned from here that is ok. I still supplement to 80 gms of protein with 2 shakes . You will not like the same shakes post op that may have appealed to you preop- so don't overbuy. I use Isopure powder in my coffee with soy milk. I have more energy and can bend easily now.

Good luck.
Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

jubigirl
on 8/30/13 10:30 am
VSG on 08/26/13

Keep it coming!  All of these are great personal suggestions.  I realize surgery and life in general is a very personal experience.  We all encounter a few different things.

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/13 10:53 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

what i've learned:

no matter how refreshingly beautiful the isopure clear drinks look on the website, after surgery they taste disgusting.

that is all.

jubigirl
on 8/30/13 11:25 am
VSG on 08/26/13

Glad to know that!!

I would like to share with those that are PRE OP....

Don't do as I did and go on a month long binge and gain weight before surgery.  I just knew after surgery I was going to be this psycho woman who would knife someone for a Klondike.  So, I ate, and I ate, and yes, I ate.  Now my first 12 pounds are weight I put on in a frenzy.  If I only knew that I couldn't care less about ANY food, I would have not panicked and binged.  I would realize the desire, at least on my part is GONE. I can't think of one food i'd love to eat right now.  NOTHING!  So, don't mourn the enemy, yucky, unhealthy food.  I wish I would have celebrated that I would finally have an opportunity to control my eating habits post surgery.  I'm sure there will be times that I would love to eat the entire sleeve of cookies but for now, it is NOT as I expected.  The food flame has been extinguished, if not permanently, at least for now.

Most Active