3 days post op and a lot left side pain and slow raising temp

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/13 2:02 am
I guess I feel a little bad because I see people saying the didn't need their pain meds by 3 days out. And I still need to take them around the clock to get some kind of relief. Its weird thi because its only my left side that's extremely sore. And today when I took my temp is was 99.1. I know that's not considered a temp yet. But its seems to be slowly raising. Am I being dramatic or is it something I should worry about?
tysmom01
on 9/1/13 2:18 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

Don't feel bad! Everyone's experience is different. My doctor told me that it's normal to have pain/discomfort in the left side for a few weeks afterward due to the largest incision being on that side. I'm just 3 weeks out but the pain was completely gone after about  a week and a half. The slight rise in temp could be normal just because your body went through surgery and a big change recently. My doctor said if it reached 101 or above to call him. Check your discharge instructions on what your doctor says. I hope you start feeling better!! 

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

mickeymantle
on 9/1/13 2:26 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

probably nothing but increasing pain and a raising fever , you should call your surgeon to be safe

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

jameas
on 9/1/13 2:39 am

Time to call the dr and get advise not the norm! Get well advocate early for yourself

Wendy Covill
on 9/1/13 2:52 am - VT

Well sheshe,

I'm still in the hospital hoping to be discharged by 4. Today's doc wanted me to eat my breakfast lunch and 34 oz of water by noon. I am trying, but it is tough. So want to be home. My daughter has called a billion times a day and the house is becoming a disaster.

Hope you feel better soon. I feel every single core muscle whenever I move terrible pain. I know it will get better.

Thinking of you.

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/13 3:04 am
Sorry to hear you're still in the hospital. Glad to know they are taking care of you. They probably shouldn't have released me when they did. I couldn't even finish a popsicle. I know what you mean tho about the soreness. I actually think I am dehydrated. I feel really dizzy and lightheaded. Oh boy, calling the office now. Thinking of you as well!!
princesswimmer24
on 9/1/13 3:04 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Your recovery sounds normal to me. I had to use my pain meds till I was 3wks out. I was frustrated too because I had read about so many people that didn't need pain meds and bounced right back. My own husband had it done 3wks before me and was walking/sipping 6hrs after his surgery and stopped using his pain pump that night. But I had to keep reminding myself that everyone's recovery is a different journey and stop comparing myself to everyone else. I still have trouble with that, but I try to stop myself when my thoughts start going haywire lol I ran a temp of about 100.5 for 4 or 5 days. The surgeon told me not too worry and to stay on top of deep breathing or using the spirometer. He said that due to the anesthesia sometimes our lungs don't like to push everything out that it usually does and you can run a low grade fever from that. Take your pain meds if you need them, use your spirometer, check your temp and keep sipping. I wanted to smack everyone that said this too me and I still feel the need to throw something at hubby when he says it to me but, it will get better. I know it doesn't feel like that. Trust me, I am still having some residual issues from surgery and haven't been able to leave my house for a month except to see the surgeon. Also remember, you know your body better than anyone else, if you feel like the pain isn't normal or it feels different then call and ask, that is what your surgeon is there for! Hope you get to feeling a little closer to normal soon! Keep us updated on your progress!!

DreamAngel3372
on 9/1/13 3:41 am

Take it easy and call the Dr..just to be sure.

We just had a pretty big surgery done...just because it is now done laparoscopically..doesn't mean its not major..it is.

Everyone is different and some need pain meds longer than others...don't feel bad because you still need them for relief. At least there is something you can take for relief..right! 

Yesterday I was feeling a little "blech" and had to remind myself that I am just a few days out. Take care..wishing you all the best! 

~ Sheri

Keep your dreams alive. All things are possible for those who believe.

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/13 4:03 am
Thank you all for the well wishes. Talked to my surgeon. He said I need to make sure everywhere I go I have some kind of fluids with me. And its an all day task. Which I just have to force myself to do. And of course he said worry about hydration first and protein second. If I'm getting behind get some Gatorade or propel. He also said as far as the pain goes I can take 2 Percocets if I need to. That incision gives the most trouble to people because that's where our stomach comes out and it has a deep stitch in it. And that my temp is fine. I've been forcing down liquids for about an hour now and feel tons better in regards to the dizziness and lightheadedness. Thank you all for responding I am feeling better already. Just was a little nervous something was wrong.
tysmom01
on 9/1/13 10:53 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

Glad you're beginning to feel better!!

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

Most Active