Faster heart rate after eating

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/13 8:55 am
Wonder if anyone experienced this. I am four days out and noticed that after I eat I tend to get a faster heart rate. I can see look down at my shirt and see it beating. Is that normal? I had a leak test before I left the hospital which was fine and I don't have any issues with nausea. It doesn't hurt to eat. Sometimes when I am laying down I notice it happens too. Is that just some weird thing that can happen after surgery. I don't notice it happening all the time. My temps are normal as well. Just wondering if anyone had some insight. I know I am not getting in enough fluids. Could this be a sign of dehydration? Also I am getting I guess muscle pain in my legs mostly. My potassium was low prior to surgery but with the supplements they gave me it went up to normal and he told me I no longer need to take them. Could my potassium have dropped back down that fast since surgery or should be worried about clots. Its both of my legs and sometimes my arms.
Jackie T.
on 9/2/13 9:09 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

By chance are you eating/drinking anything with a high sugar content or a high carb content?  Both of these can cause these symptoms if you were able to detox from them prior to surgery.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/13 9:15 am
Hmmm I had cream soup last. I really haven't had anything high in sugar or carbs that I can think of.
TeacherSue
on 9/2/13 9:53 am - Collinsville, IL

I have that all the time when I have been concentrating on not eating very much.  I have not had WLS yet but have really been cutting back and watching portion size.  Anytime I do this, whenever I eat, my heart beats harder.  Doc said that is normal during digestion because more blood is needed in the stomach area to aide in digestion.  It only happens to me when I've gone periods of not eating or not eating much (like if I go all day and then eat supper).  I should say I notice it more at those times.  I also experience some palpitations.  I've had a stress test and heart is perfect.

I do also think some dehydration could cause it which certainly can cause low potassium.  I used to worry about it, but according to my doctor it is normal.  I guess you should ask your doctor, though; he/she may have another idea.

Good luck.

Most Active