Vitamin B1 deficiency?

puzzled
on 9/3/13 12:03 pm - Palatine, IL
VSG on 05/20/13
I just had my 3 month check-up with blood work. Unfortunately my B1 is very low. I have been told to take two 100mg tablets of B1 a day. Has anyone else had to o this or, have any experience with this? I forgot to ask my doctor if I take both together or, take one in morning and one at night. I know I need to start it right away but, I am afraid to take at night in case it interrupts sleep. Does anyone have any input on this?

Carmelita
on 9/3/13 1:32 pm, edited 9/3/13 1:36 pm - Four Corners, NM

You aren't gettin in your high potency multi vit/mineral chronically are ya ,-) ya bad thang!!  I kid I kid!!

I never heard of thiamine (B1) causing a sleep disturbance before tho so I think yer ok there.  200mgs a day is the usual supplementation for deficiency. You'll wanna take that 100mg at night for shizzle...cuz you'll metabolize it better. Ain't peein it out all day with activity and ^^fluids...all the Bs are water soluble! Some are indeed stored for a whiles anyway..before adios and problems..like MAJOR problems happen.

Dietary...

Consider cuttin down on coffee, tea or boozin it up  ,-)  as too much of a good thing will screw up yer thiamine 

Some wheat germ thrown in soups, yogurts , pork tenderloin is high in thiamine if you eat meats, those Morningstar garden patties if you prefer meatless are great.

At the nutrient data base link I used ^^... scroll down to the vitamin section n  look up foods that are highest in thiamine...in categories you find appealing...say highest thiamine...lowest calories.  highest thiamine...lowest total carbs whatever plan you follow

VSGrs do not LIVE on high protein low carb & cals alone ya know ,-)  

Stick w/ your docs orders Im sure you'll be right as rain in no time puzz.  

Keep takin your required Multi-vit and minerals  (w/  Iron if yer menses aged)  EVERYDAY if possible!!

fwiw I usually take my multi after dinner, late snack!

loverofcats
on 9/3/13 1:59 pm

The program that I went through advises us to take a vitamin b1 supplement everyday . I take mine in the morning and you can take both doses at once. You do not want to become deficient, since a deficiency can lead to permanent nerve damage .

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

movis
on 9/3/13 9:08 pm
VSG on 07/16/13

I had surgery in July and I have opted for the once a month shot of 1000 mcg. My sister is a nurse and she administers the shot. This seems more effective than the sublingual b.

Movis   HW: 341,  Surgeon Consult: 333,  SW: 300,  CW: 195

mimij
on 9/3/13 11:35 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I think you are taking about B12 Movis. Different than B1 thiamine.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

mimij
on 9/3/13 11:34 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

My dr has always recommended a B1 every day. I have taken it every day since surgery. My thiamine has never been low. Hope you will take the B1 and get your levels back to normal. Take care.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

aliekat
on 9/4/13 12:35 am

i have had a very hard time tolerating the bariatric vitamins. i get nausea for half an hour. so i have been avoiding them. i just found the Celebrate capsules that i can tolerate much better but am only up to one a day. I need to get to three. i will increase to two soon and had better get my vitamin levels check at three months out. thanks for the heads up.

Disclaimer: Although I am a doctor, I do not play one on TV, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.  I've done a lot of additional research on WLS issues but am not qualified to give medical advice over the internet.  I'm happy to share my research with you, but you should see an acting professional if you want real medical advice.enlightened

MVF1975
on 9/4/13 4:39 am

I have had the same issue.  I have only been able to eat the bariatric multi by sucking on it.  Chewing it causes instant gag reflex.  The calcium citrate are the ones that I am really struggling with because the taste/texture actually make the multivitamin seem pretty good. 

Birdie55
on 9/4/13 4:49 am

Puzzled,  Are you taking good quality multivitamins daily and still have a B1 deficiency?  What brand and how many are you taking?  My surgeon has me taking 2 multis a day.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Most Active