Bougie Size...

HGmommy
on 9/6/13 12:41 pm - Montgomery, AL
Does boogie size matter? What's the most common size? Should I be concerned if my surgeon wants to go bigger?
Chrissy W.
on 9/6/13 1:00 pm - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

This is a huge deal for some people. Personally, I have no idea what size my surgeon used and I couldn't care less. But to some, it's a deal breaker in even considering a surgeon. 

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

themexcellentone
on 9/6/13 1:32 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I think the size your surgeon uses depends on what his/her preference is.  I know my surgeon uses anywhere from a 32f to a 36f, and he determines which one he uses on you based on your anatomy and how much you have to lose.  That's what he told me, anyway.  That being said, he used a 32 on me and I have great restriction.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

barbara101
on 9/6/13 2:08 pm - somewhere, OH
Isn't the theory of VSG that they just remove 85% of your stomach and what you have left is what it is? no certain pre planned size?

Just wondering myself....hmmm

Barbara   

mrs_sleon
on 9/6/13 2:36 pm - NV
VSG on 09/09/13

Just like themexcellentone stated, the most common bougie ranges from 32Fr-36Fr and I believe the size does vary from patient to patient

mickeymantle
on 9/6/13 2:47 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

people argue all the time about size , but there are plenty of early people from 1015 yeas ago that lost the weight and keep it off

with 50f+ boogie

and plenty with 32f that have problems losing

I have a loose 34f almost a tight 36f and it looks like a string bean  , the difference between the sizes are very little

and the surgeons technique  means more than the boogie size   also the most important thing is sticking to a good plan

some surgeons don't like the 32f size they say there is more of a chance to leak, and people have more problems getting in fluids and food at first

a 34f-36f holds about 4 oz at 1 month after the swelling goes down and about 8 oz after 1 1/2 years  if you follow a good plan and fill it with mostly protein and some veggies and a little  fruit , you will be eating around 600 cal and you will have to lose weight

if you don't trust your surgeons  judgment do yourself a favor now and find a different one that you trust 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/6/13 3:58 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I am sure it does matter. Just like penis size matters. I mean there really IS a difference, otherwise they (bougies...and maybe penises) would all be the same. Wouldn't you think so? The big question is how does it matter and here the answer is the same for both ...tools...it's what you do with them that makes a difference. It may be easier with a larger penis or a smaller bougie but you can be equally skinny happy and ....satisfied....with a larger bougie or a smaller penis. Sorry for the absurdity of this comparison and I am certainly not making light of it but there are advantages and maybe disadvantages to both. And it just boggles the mind ...at least my mind...that either one would be a deal breaker in the choice of surgeons or partners (in the case of a penis).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

frisco
on 9/6/13 5:10 pm

I was gonna refrain from bougie talk, but you baited me in.......

I like my women and my bougies small  and I like a tight sleeve and a tight va-jay-jay......(let the flames be thrown..... she stared it !)

Of course sleeve size matters..... bougie size may not be the true indicator now days because surgeons are all over the place in experience and execution.

Capacity is more the key.......

The sleeve should be made for long term....... WL can be had with just about any size sleeve......

If sleeve size is not important and the differences are deemed "miniscule"......

Why do people end up with a capacity that ranges from 3oz. to 16oz. ??????  That's not "miniscule"

MickeyMantle up there is at 4oz. very early out and is looking for 8oz. at one year. I can tell you for sure, that would not work for me to lose 100+%EW and maintain long term.... sorry 

An 8oz. capacity at 1 year "can" mean even more at 2 years and even more at 3 years.......

Now figure 100cals (2oz. of most proteins or 1tbsp. of peanut butter) a day over your balance point is approximately a 10lbs. gain in a year.......

I've seen just about every patient in my surgeons practice make 100% EWL and if they didn't make 100% thay are in the 90 percentile range.

The sleeve should be made for the 5 years to life range and not for just the first year.......

Sure..... it's what you do with it...... that's so correct...... which way is better????

That's your choice !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/6/13 5:27 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Touché touché Frisco!!!! I asked for that indeed!!! And yeah what you said is spot on. Its the capacity (staying power?...!!!) that matters. But that is not determined by the bougie size. (surgical) technique makes all the difference. And again...what you do with it. Your technique...undereating your capacity, following the rules of the pyloric valve functionning etc etc etc...not the size of the bougie that determines that part.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mkvand
on 9/6/13 7:25 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

So, I was watching a comedian on TV while reading this thread, and you guys are funnier than he is. 

Most Active