Family and friends concerned im losing too much weight!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/13 10:51 am
I was curious what you lost weekly during your first month after surgery. I am 9 days post op and have lost 19 pounds since surgery. I of course am super excited about this and know it's going to start slowing down. Only issue is my family and friends. They seem to think its dangerous that I am losing so much weight this soon. I know everyone is different, but should I be concerned? They are starting to rain on my parade.
Tracy D.
on 9/7/13 11:12 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
First of all, stop telling them how much you're losing. I found that it freaked out everyone so I stopped talking about it. Now I'm very vague about what I've lost.

Second, most of the weight in the first week is water. Many VSGers lose 30-40 lbs the first month depending on their starting weight. You appear to be doing just fine.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

71dart
on 9/7/13 11:19 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I lost 21 lbs the first 10 days.

It quickly moderated to about 4-5 lbs per week. Now I'm losing about 2 lbs per week.

I agree with the above post: don't be specific and pay no attention to the negative vibes.

LosingSarah
on 9/7/13 11:27 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I agree with the advice to just keep it vague or to yourself if they are going to make you worry/rain on your parade.

Congrats on your success so far, btw. I cannot wait to be on the "other side" :)

MsVonne
on 9/7/13 1:08 pm - MI
VSG on 08/28/13

I so agree with everyone your family and friends will be negitive about your weight loss they don't mean to but they will so pay it no mind and continue on your journey.  I believe you and I had our surgery the same day and we are pretty much on the same track you have me by 3 lbs I'm down 16 lbs. Girl celebrate your loss and enjoy your new you.  As long as you have "haters" you know you are doing something right.  LOL   I rub my loss in their faces anyway ...... LOL I know I'm mean but what the heck all of my friends are overweight and most of my family and they won't do anything about it so as long as I was like them they loved me dearly now I hear...."you won't be the same person or you are going to think you are all that" Well, I think that now I just want to be healthy so I can continue to be all that and a bag of chips.  So when they say something negative I tell them well I want to make sure I see another 50 yrs without needing a pill to keep me alive... that shuts them up.

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/13 1:30 pm
Haha love it!! You're so right. I'm the opposite where they are all smaller than me. This guy I'm dating seems the most worried. He says he worried that losing so much that fast is unsafe. I understand his concerns. He just doesn't understand the reason why I did it. So its more of an ignorance thing. So I try to educate them on WLS. But thanks guys for the advice. I will try to keep it to myself
jlovetro
on 9/8/13 11:13 pm

I am dealing with someone just as ignorant and closed minded and selfish.  I keep it very vague and very short with him and anyone else who wants to be a hater can hate all they want.  good luck you look awesome.

jubigirl
on 9/8/13 7:58 am
VSG on 08/26/13
I lost 24# when I went for my 10 day checkup. They said everything was fine. I'm now day 13 and FINALLY getting a tad of energy back. Spoke with dietician and she reminded me to focus on me and MY mission. Don't let anyone take your eye off the prize.

I hope you're doing well. Our surgery dates are very close. I will go friend you. Lets keep in touch.

Kelli
Shamrocks241
on 9/8/13 6:29 pm - CA
As long as you are getting your protein and water in, ignore them. you are doing great and will be feeling great in no time!

Way to go!
KittyKarin
on 9/8/13 11:24 pm - FL
VSG on 01/09/13
Your family and friends are probably not bariatric surgeons or medical professionals that specialize in bariatrics. They love you but aren't the best to take advice about ur surgery or weight loss from. Let them know your doctors have a close eye on you and thank them for their love and concern. Congrats on coming over to the dark side.

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views