I don't understand

f4eva
on 9/5/13 2:03 pm

why I seem to be hungry a lot.  I am almost 4 weeks post-op, I am on pureed food and start regular foods tomorrow.  I drink/eat 4ozs of whatever I'm allowed every couple of hours but it seems like I'm hungry before the two hours is up.  Is this normal?  Has anyone gone through this?  Do you know why?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/5/13 5:09 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Not speaking from personal experience here. I haven't been hungry at all since surgery 11 months ago. But from what I have read on the boards, it seems that sometimes stomach acid mimics hunger. Are you taking a ppi? (like a nexium or pariet or some pepcid or another over the counter type of acid reducer or ppi?) I took that for six weeks after surgery to help the stomach lining heal. It helped with the gurgling too. Also perhaps increase your protein and your fluid. I have read that this helps with satiety as well. Again, not speaking from personal experience here at all since I am now not on a ppi since 6 weeks post op and not hungry. I hope yours gets resolved soon!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

edelu
on 9/5/13 7:43 pm - los angeles, CA

The third and forth weeks also did me in with hunger.  It takes a while for your stomach to understand the change it's been through and the Ghrelin to beggone.  Week six began the no hunger phase and it continues, two years later.

Hope that helps

jenlaur1
on 9/5/13 9:11 pm - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

I can't offer a solution..I'll be three weeks on Monday.  That being said.  I have this hunger like pang a lot.  Even with the med I'm taking.  I told my surgeon this and he was amazed.  He let me start eating cottage cheese and yogurt a week ago.  What's strange is that this pang if you will..happens at all sorts of times..sometimes right after I've eaten.  So, I'm thinking that the whole acid thing has merit.  Could be I need a stronger/higher dose of the med I'm taking.  Although, I like what was previously said that the nerve/hormone stops working around 6 weeks out.  That'll give you two weeks and me three...and we should, hopefully, not be feeling this pang anymore!!  If you find it very uncomfy though...call your surgeon's office and see if you can see them sooner rather than later or maybe see if they can call you.  Good luck...hope it goes away real soon (for me, too!! lol)

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Jackie T.
on 9/5/13 10:48 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Unfortunately the only time I felt hungry early out was when I stopped taking Pepcid.  When I started it back up then I wasn't hungry anymore.  It was the acid in my stomach.  Now having said that, once you are eating more dense protein first, hopefully it will stay with you longer and you won't get as hungry as quickly.  For me, dense protein stays with me longer than carbs or even cottage cheese.  Early on I started with talipia, shrimp ****tail and tuna.  The went down easier and helped me to stay satisfied.  You will have to experiment with what foods work for you.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active