Numbness in leg and foot

Vickie R.
on 9/9/13 10:21 am - Saint Amant, LA

Hello Friends,

I have lost 42 pounds and recently have started having a numbness in my shin and top of my foot.  I didnt have this before my surgery.  Have any of you experienced this?

5'8" / HW 278 / SW 252 / GW 150

acbbrown
on 9/9/13 10:28 am - Granada Hills, CA

Does your back hurt?  I have this issue but I also have herniated disks, pinched nerve, various back issues - i get pain and numbness in my legs/feet. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Vickie R.
on 9/9/13 10:39 am - Saint Amant, LA

You would think I would, but I have no pain.  The only thing I can think of is that now that I have lost weight I can cross my legs and have been doing that a lot.  I thought maybe I messed something up.  I also read that maybe I have a B-12 deficiency. I  take a B-12 every day.  My GP ordered some blood work to check all my levels and she is also sending me to neurologist to have a nerve test done.  UGH!   I thought things would get better after the surgery and now I have to deal with this. 

I still have no regrets having the surgery, I just want to get on with living and not spend it in the doctor's office.  Okay, I'm done whining now. :)

5'8" / HW 278 / SW 252 / GW 150

acbbrown
on 9/9/13 10:48 am - Granada Hills, CA

whine away....im the queen of the whining club. Ive spent more time at the doctors/hospital/ER/urgent care and on more medications now than i ever was when I weighed over 400 lbs. FML. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

loverofcats
on 9/9/13 1:34 pm

Are you supplementing with thiamine (B1)? A deficiency of thiamine can also cause your symptoms, as well as B12. Good that your labs are being drawn.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Pjb1967
on 9/9/13 11:00 am
Stop crossing your leg! Myself and several WLS peeps have gotten foot drop from crossing our legs. Your body is not used to it and you might have pinched a nerve behind your knee, it's the nerve that controls the shin and foot. Are you having a hard time flexing that foot? It happened to me back in April and I am now still having numbness and tingling in in my leg and foot. I was unable to flex my foot for 6 weeks! The B-12 deficiency could also be the problem. Have you had your labs done recently? I would get it checked out by a doc. But I bet it's the crossing the leg. You should Google "foot drop & weight loss" you'll be surprised.
SleeplessinAbitibi
on 9/9/13 11:03 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I have had the exact same thing...It was due to constant leg crossing.  As soon as I realized this and stopped ALWAYS crossing my legs...cuz I can...lol, things went back to normal.  I had numbness on both shins and was starting to have drop foot syndrome on one leg!!!  Its all kinda funny if you think about it ;-)

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

katym
on 9/9/13 11:34 am - PA

hi Vickie,

The leg-crossing seems like a very reasonable hypothesis (so I guess I should not be frustrated that I am not flexible enough to do it) , but do be careful about your  levels of all B vitamins. Everyone knows about B 12 issues but B 1 deficiency can have very serious neurological consequences as well. B 1 also called Thiamine.

congrats on your weight loss, Katy 

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

Jackie00
on 9/9/13 1:40 pm
Definitely sounds like foot drop.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

VSG-LessOfMe
on 9/12/13 2:45 am - FL

I had the same exact thing and first thing the neurologist asked me was have you been crossing your legs a lot, which I had been because I could finally do it!  She did the nerve test and said I had drop foot.  Sent me for physical therapy and told me to stop crossing my legs all the time.  I'm back to normal now, no permanent damage.

HW: 260 ~ Start Pre-Op Diet: 248 ~ Surgery Day: 238 ~ CW: 154.8

Most Active