How to help my child not to grow up to be obese?

ShelleKarena
on 9/25/13 5:41 am
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I have a 6 year old daughter and every day I struggle with her over what she eats.  She gets home from school and wants a snack.  I have gotten things for her that are mostly healthy or at least made organically with whole grains etc.  I will occasionally buy her something like pizza rolls (we are phasing out processed junk food) but that is not very often.  Many times she will tell me that she is hungry, when there should not be any reason for her to be like right after a snack.  She is slightly overweight, at this point it is nothing to be concerned about, but I see in her some of the behaviors I had as a child.  I don't want her to grow up with this unhealthy obsession with food, but I don't know how to talk to her abou****ching her weight without causing her to develop self image issues or an eating disorder.  When she does say she is hungry, I offer her fruit, but most times she turns her nose up at it. I tell her that she must not be very hungry if she won't eat what is offered.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I am trying to avoid saying " Do you want to grow up and be fat like mommy and then have to get surgery to fix it?" :)

Super Cali Swagalistic Sexy Hella Dopeness!

Pre op: 15 lbs  M1: 18.4 lbs M2: 13.4 (2 wk stall) M3 14.4

acbbrown
on 9/25/13 6:05 am - Granada Hills, CA

I don't have kids so I don't knoe much but just some thoughts. 

Avoid making the conversation about weight and fat vs skinny. Focus on health, our bodies, energy, fuel, exercise, etc. you don't want her to become self conscious or have body image issues. I think you can encourage her to accept her body while encouraging her to take care of it. 

If she's truly hungry, she will eat a healthy snack. Also I'd say offer her water before a snack. It'll teach her a good habit for the future. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

LosingSarah
on 9/25/13 6:10 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

My 5 year old eats a good amount of fruit & veg for snacks, but doesn't always like it.  If she complains I say "if you're not hungry enough for an apple (or whatever is being offered) then your not really hungry"  If she says "but I am hungry but don't want that" or something like that I will offer her a carrot or pear, or something healthy. If she still protests I say "well, these are your choices, if you want something to eat this is what you can have"

Usually she makes a pouting sigh, then takes one. If she continues to protest I repeat myself and say you can pick something or go to your room until your done complaining.  Again, usually I have to do this once or twice, but sometimes it turns into a fit.  I NEVER give in, though. I really, really dislike dealing with my child during a fit, but know from experience that the problem will just get worse if I give in.

If you stick to your guns over time it will get better.  Good luck!

Oh, BTW - We do occasionally have some "junk" food (veggies crisps, pretzels, granola bars, etc) and when I do serve it to her I explain that things like this is for only every once in a while because its unhealthy to eat all the time.  I never use the word fat, etc. Talking about how junk food can cause health problems I think is acceptable to talk to kids about.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/25/13 4:27 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Super approach!!! Its all about empowering kids to make healthy choices. Its firm and unyielding and this is exactly what works best. There is no pressure to eat as such only good stuff on offer at appropriate times and the child chooses to eat or not, and how much, from amongst healthy options. Wonderful!!!! I wish all parents would get this. I was chased around by my wonderful granny with a spoon for hours and when I finally gave in and ate I would throw up. I was a skinny transparent kid but the seeds of obesity were already there then. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

LosingSarah
on 9/25/13 10:38 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Yes, my mom forced us to eat all of our food and I too was a skinny, active kid, but once I hit junior high school I slowly started to get husky, then b high school overweight, and now I am an obese adult that has a hard time leaving an empty plate :(  We have a good relationship, but I still think about it often.

I knew the moment my daughter was born I would never make my daughter finish her plate.  Babies & kids just know when they've had enough. Why take that natural cue away from them?

hopesmom
on 9/25/13 10:07 am
VSG on 09/26/13
I have a nine year old daughter, and have struggled with similar issues. What has consistantly worked with her is boosting her activity level, as well as diverting her attention away from food to something else (playing a game; going for a walk; calling a grandparent, etc.). We have started to talk about her feelings when she says she is hungry, and how being worried, or bored are not reasons to eat. It's hard! Good luck...

HOPESMOM

gorditabonita
on 9/25/13 11:16 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

I have similar problems with my oldest, who is 13. I see so much of myself in her. We try to keep her very physically active - she just got home from "Teen Bootcamp" and she dances. Her problem is food choices and emotional eating. So, I put her in therapy to help her work through these issues. I know that your daughter is too young for that now, but I would just suggest keeping a "clean" kitchen and limiting treats/eating out. That sort of helps my daughter.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

LynaeJ
on 9/25/13 12:25 pm
VSG on 08/13/13
My children are 9 (boy) and 4 (girl). We have chocolate and things in the house, but they are limited. Items they can have openly are fruits, veggies (often with "white dip" which is low cal ranch dressing) greek yogurt, pickles and popcorn. Lots and lots of popcorn. Also a variety of cheeses.

I remember as a kid being praised for cleaning off my plate, and it being a requirement to earn dessert etc. I make sure that is never suggested to my kids. I was also rewarded with food and I catch myself nearly doing the same often; luckily I do catch myself and my kids are rewarded with activities.

Thankfully both of my kids are built like my husband (quite slim) however a healthy relationship with food is something we work on constantly.

Bufflehead
on 9/25/13 10:50 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My sister spent three years working as a nanny in France -- she's now an MD with two children of her own and she has raised her daughters with the same food habits that she learned in France:

3 meals a day with varied healthy foods offered at each one. Children are encouraged to at least try everything offered, but it isn't a big deal. No one is ordered or forced to eat anything. If they don't want to eat their dinner, that's okay, but the parents don't play short order cook and make them something else.

Children get one snack per day in the afternoon. That snack actually doesn't have to be particularly healthy, although it often is. But it might be a slice of cake or a baguette with chocolate on it (pain au chocolat).

Hunger is not considered an emergency. If someone is hungry, that's great because it means they'll really be looking forward to their next meal. It doesn't mean you get an extra snack.

No eating while standing up, in the car, in front of the television, etc. Eat only when sitting down for a proper meal (or afternoon snack) at a table.

Involve children in cooking meals and shopping for food.

My nieces are both slender, healthy, and have no issues with eating lots of different types of healthy foods. They are not picky eaters and aren't into junk foods or other unhealthy foods or eating habits, so I have to say what my sister and her husband have done has been pretty successful for them.

Most Active