Is this back pain related to my VSG?

DanaStClair
on 9/28/13 5:46 am - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

Hello OH friends,

No video today, just a big question...

I was fine yesterday when I woke up, but two hours later while I was sitting in my chair at work I started to feel a stiffness spreading across the lower third of my back (basically at the tailbone just above the bum). The pain increased throughout the day and by the time I went to bed (early - 9:30pm) I could barely walk or turn over. I woke up several times during the night with pain, and finally around 5am I gave in and took a tylenol 3. That helped enough to get me to sleep for 4 hours. When I woke up the bain was fully back so I took another tylenol 3. Ive felt tired and groggy and sore for today so I haven't got my typical water or food in yet. I've only had 3 cups of water, all my vitamins, 2.5 oz chicken and 2 tbsp of hummus - so I think that is making me feel even more tired and sore.

Here are some details about my reg routine:

I am 6 weeks post-op and walk 3 miles a day as often as possible. I have not been cleared for strength training yet, but I am starting water running this week. I aim for 80g protein with less than 60 carbs daily, and I almost always get all vits and water. There was no specific incident I can think of that caused strain on my back. CAUTION TMI ALERT: I thought it may be some gas pain, because occasionally it felt like the pain was traveling across the front of my lower abdomen area (not nearly as strong as the pain in my back however) but I have since passed gas without relief. I could almost say it was traveling into my hips sometimes. I should also mention that I work a desk job,and take public transit to work daily.

I remember reading somewhere along the way that back pain can come from losing weight and your body adjusting to the new structure and the adjusted way you are walking. I was 331 when I started this in Jan, 295 by surgery day and down to 268 6 weeks later. Is it possible that this back pain is related to the VSG? Has anyone experienced this at this stage? Any advice for next steps? I guess its scaring me a little bit because if this acute pain is the new normal, I am not sure I can function barely walking and having to take pain meds to sleep.

Sorry for long post, but this has taken me by surprise and I would appreciate any input you can offer.

Thank you, Dana  

Positivity, Positivity, Positivity + Protein, lots of protein ;)

mmmesser
on 9/28/13 7:38 am

There are a lot of 'what if's' in this....meaning, it could be that your ab and back and butt muscles might need some toning to help with the additional time you might be exercising or being active and straining your back muscles.  I swear if I could have someone carrying around my chest all day I think most of my back troubles would go away.  Also, too...I found out when I went to physical therapy that part of my back issue that I had for YEARS was due to misalignment of my hips and so was trained on how to realign my hips periodically and also specific muscles to strengthen my hips, etc.  So, I guess all that to say...you might want to see your doctor and get any xrays he/she might want and from there, if your insurance will pay for a referral for some physical therapy you might want to have them check you out for any typical back problem issues.  Just some thoughts.  Get to feeling better...I know how it can be with back pain.  Mine has kicked up some because of my posture and my stomach muscles still healing and my chest of course and I'm about 8 weeks out (and this has heightened probably about 6 weeks out as well).  Good Luck and keep us posted if you figure out what it is and/or what is helping.

justpete
on 9/28/13 10:13 am
VSG on 04/02/13

get yourself a donut to sit on at work, if you have a desk job that might make you sore (you have like no more 'natural cushion' there!).  also when you lose a lot of weight fast, apparently your core muscles get a little slack and not as supportive for your back.  worht getting checked out if it continues though.  might be a bulging disc (problems in the spine area often cause pain all aroudn the body at the level of the problem - so your front pain might be that) or hernia or something - who knows. 

I know i'm plaqued with back problems and the pain has increased a fair amount as i lost weight.  more activity, less muscle tone, period of little exercise.  adds up fast.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

JAlston
on 9/28/13 11:02 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I would say that back pain is very likely related to weight loss. I had back issues before and then some during as the weight shifted. I have more issues now with my tail bone. I would take the back pain over the tail bone pain any day because I am used to that, this tail bone stuff is for the birds. I even bought a special cushion...ugh.

Good Luck to you!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views