Frustrated

tdallison
on 10/9/13 8:22 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13
I am 6 weeks out, feeling good, as of last Tuesday I am off my blood pressure meds but I am starting to retain fluids. Mostly in legs but little in my face and hands. Weighed in and I have gained 5 pounds since last Tuesday. Called my pcp to tell him since my bp meds had LASIK in it. They finally called me back after waiting all day just to tell me to call my WL surgeon whose office is closed since it is so late. Has anyone had the retaining fluid issue? I drink between 72 to 88 oz water ( not including one or two protein drinks) 450 to 550 cal. 70 to 80 protein less than 30 carbs and I watch my sodium. I feel great except for this fluid retention. I want to cry.

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

Sandy M.
on 10/9/13 9:08 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Yes.  In fact I was on a diuretic before surgery for the swollen ankles.  The surgeon asked me to discontinue right after surgery, but forgot to tell me for how long.  I too got frustrated 3 weeks out and started taking it again.  Problem was with so little food and a normal blood pressure to begin with, it lowered my pressure to the point I would get dizzy.  I told the PA, and she told me to stop taking it if I got dizzy, but otherwise it was okay.

Note that the above is NOT medical advice - have you checked your blood pressure lately?  If you're swelling, you pressure might be up too.  Call the doctor in the morning - and be patien****er weight will come off quickly once you get to the bottom of the issue!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

tdallison
on 10/9/13 9:39 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13
Thanks sandy. I checked my blood pressure yesterday and today. Highest was 126 over 78. I plan on calling surgeons office first thing in the morning

Toni Dallison

G5x5
on 10/9/13 10:38 am - VA
I stalled (sort of) for four weeks when I stopped my BP meds. Mine definitely had a diuretic in them. Not only did it appear I was was stalled, I gained two pounds towards the end of the stall.

What really happened was I continued to loose body fat but retained water as an offset. My body fat dropped like 5% during that period.

The good news is that once the rebalancing worked itself through, my weigh loss continued at a reasonable pace.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

tdallison
on 10/9/13 11:39 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13
Thanks. I know it will all work out but I can't help being discouraged and frustrated. I am also worry that something is wrong with me. I tend to freak out lol

Toni Dallison

themexcellentone
on 10/9/13 12:20 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I am dealing with the fluid retention too.  I am 3 months post-op and it is far worse now than it was prior to surgery.  I saw my PCP today (labs follow up) and told her about it, and she put me back on a diuretic that she had taken me off of back in August.  My BP is great, but this fluid is annoying because it collects in my legs and feet. :( 

Hope you get resolution to your fluid retention issue soon!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

tdallison
on 10/9/13 11:13 pm - TX
VSG on 08/26/13
Thanks. Called surgeon this morning like my pcp wanted and of course he wants me to talk to my pcp. I have a 915 this morning

Toni Dallison

claudiaes
on 10/9/13 11:26 pm - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

if any of you gals have a vitamix...or maybe any other blender ( I just use the vitamix) you can make a smoothie or put in a shake a piece of watermelon rind, it is an excellent natural diuretic.

The Incredible Health Benefits of Eating Watermelon Rinds
Watermelon rinds can be marinated, pickled and candied. It can be stir-fried, made into jam, and turned into juice. When watermelon flesh isn't available, drinking watermelon rind broth is a great diuretic, especially when you're holding water.

You will pee for minutes lol but is worth it :) , just my two cents

tdallison
on 10/10/13 3:37 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13
Lol that is good to know. Does it taste good? Do you use the green and white part or just the white?

Toni Dallison

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views