Looking for support and vsg friends

Marena G.
on 10/8/13 10:34 pm - LA
VSG on 07/16/12

It has been a while since I have been on here.  As I go through some of the post this morning, I just want to kick myself in the but for doing so.  I am 14 months out from my sleeve and have not lost what I expected or wanted.  I have been on an on and off stall since my 6th month.  This has me so frustrated and a little depressed that I slowly feel the lbs creeping in.  Yesterday was bad.  I am embarrassed to say that I grazeeeeddd .  I was not hungry, but I just kept putting things in my mouth. 

Unfortunately there is not support group or system where I live.  Actually after my eight months visit with my doctor, they told me that I was done and to call them if I need anything or had any problems.  There is a group meeting with a counselor but you have to pay $65 per visit.  So I was basically thrown to the wolves.  I have a cousin that had the sleeve as well, but she lost over 100 lbs. So I feel like my friends and family are wondering and being opinionated over the fact that I haven't.  As a matter of fact I know they are.  I have Lupus and take medications for it, but it didn't affect my weight loss at the beginning.  Anyways, I know what I need to do....it's just hard to go through it alone while you are under a microscope by everyone around you. 

I'm going back to day one and starting off with my protein shakes.  If anyone has any ideas an/or suggesting they are so thankfully welcomed. 

p.s. Its good to be back

Sandy M.
on 10/8/13 11:18 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Welcome back!  I recommend using MyFitnessPal to log your food, water, and exercise starting today.  It'll give you a clear picture of where your protein levels are and where you need to tweak your diet.  Getting your water in is crucial too - 8 glasses should be the bare minimum - go for 10-12 and you should see a difference.  

What are you doing for exercise?  Get outside and walk!  It's a beautiful time of the year - you'll not only burn fat, you'll boost your mood!

What about supplements?  Are you still taking your vitamins?  If not, here's what my NUT recommends:

• Multi-vitamin
  • B-12 (check out VitaMelts - they melt in your mouth)
  • Vitamin D, especially for the winter months when we don't get as much from sunshine
  • Magnesium
  • Calcium (I use Citracal Petites)

I have found that my energy levels have gone through the roof since taking my supplements regularly, which also helps me get motivated to either walk or run every day.  

You can do this!  There might be other support groups in your area, like Overeaters Anonymous that you could take advantage of.  Or start your own - I bet there are other VSG patients in your area that are looking for support.

My final word of advice is to keep coming here - there is good information (and not so good, but you can weed through that) and lots of hugs and support when you need it.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Marena G.
on 10/8/13 11:46 pm - LA
VSG on 07/16/12

Thank you Sandy,  I sooooo needed that.  I am going back to my fitness pal today too.  Do you count your calories, how many do you intake daily?

Sandy M.
on 10/8/13 11:51 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Yes, but protein is more important.  Shoot for 600-800 calories, 80 grams of protein and under 40 grams of carbs to get the weight loss started again.  You can even set up those goals on MyFitnessPal.  Note though that when you submit your intake at the end of the day, MFP "yells" at you that you're not eating enough.  Ignore it!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

MsBobbiTX
on 10/8/13 11:29 pm
VSG on 09/16/13

Welcome back.   I just had surgery so I guess I don' have a lot of experience, but my only advice would be, get back on the horse.  With all the online resources these days, maybe you could find a virtual meeting to help you stay on track or just keep reading on the forums.  It might help keep you focused. 

Marena G.
on 10/8/13 11:50 pm - LA
VSG on 07/16/12

Thanks MsBobbiTx, that is exactly what I am doing.  You definitely need that personal feedback sometimes.  I forgot how important and good it can feel when you know that there are persons going through the same thing and they offer you advice and time to hear or read what you are going through.  And sometimes that might even be the quick fix that one needs. 

MsBobbiTX
on 10/9/13 1:15 am
VSG on 09/16/13

Yes.  Oh and My Fitness Pal (or some other logging system) is a must. It will help keep you honest with yourself.  :)

MayPenGirl
on 10/9/13 12:15 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

Welcome back!!  We have such a great support system here so it's a great thing that you're back.  Sandy M is correct regarding 600-800 calories, 80 grams of protein and under 40 grams of carbs to get the weight loss started again.  I have been following that plan for almost 7 months and am down 95 pounds. I keep my calories closer to the 600 mark and my carbs closer to the 20 grams mark but as long as you don't go over the 800 calories and 40 carbs the weight will start falling off.  If you would like to be my friend on My Fitness Pal please feel free to send me a friend request.  My user name is MayPenGirl305.  My food diary is open so you can view and see the choices I make. 

Good luck.  You can do this.  It's mind over matter!!

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

Marena G.
on 10/9/13 1:07 am - LA
VSG on 07/16/12

Thanks so much you all are wonderful and just the thing I needed to kickstart my motivation again.  Being a year out the last thing my doctor told me is to go up to 1200 calories.  I always thought that it was a bit too much.  I am going to go back down to 600-800. 

MayPenGirl
on 10/9/13 1:33 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

1200 calories is definitely too much for weight loss.  That's what people in maintenance are taking in. 

You got this!!

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

Most Active