Does chocolate make you sick?

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/13 10:26 pm
So this morning I was bad...I know I know. I had a small piece of chocolate. And as soon as I finished it I got instantly nauseous. And ended up in the bathroom tossing my cookies. I've only thrown up twice since surgery and was really surprised this caused it. Anyone else have issues with getting sick from chocolate?
fran67
on 10/13/13 10:59 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12

I wish it did!  I didn't have anything sweet until I was about 9 month out and most things that I tried (it was Xmas time so it was cookies, cake and some candy), tasted horrible and upset my stomach.  Fast forward a few more months and that junk no longer bothered me and it tasted great again.  Just yesterday, I ate a pack of peanut m&ms while walking around an amusement park.  

Today is a new day, and I plan on getting back to basics to get off my regain.  So please try to learn from us that are further out and stay away from the junk as long as you can.  It truly is a slippery slope and it's so hard to get back up.   

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

cookiebun
on 10/13/13 11:10 pm - MA
VSG on 04/02/13

I think everyone handles food differently.  I can eat chocolate (only had a few bites in 6 months), but I can't really do red meat still or eggs.  They make me feel instantly bloated (painfully bloated). 

It is a trial and error game.  Keep trying foods since I am told we change and tolerate things differently as we progress thru.

Good luck.

I'm not where I want to be, but I am closer than I was yesterday!

HW: 365 SW: 320

Keith L.
on 10/13/13 11:23 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Nobody here is being hard enough on you, so I will be the bad guy.

STOP EATING CHOCOLATE. Yes there are some good things for you about chocolate but there is also something in it that isn't good for someone who is only a few weeks post op...SUGAR!

I understand temptations and I am no stellar example of what to do all the time I have had my fair share of slip ups in the past year, but not at less than 2 months post-op. This is your opportunity to not do the things you used to do which starts with "just one small piece" but we all know it never ends with just one small piece. We all got fat with that mentality. You had surgery to make a change so make the change.

Be glad you got sick so next time before you reach for it you will think twice.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/13 11:45 pm
You're very right. I'm bad. I see most people on here are very good with sticking to plan. I definitely struggle with that. Especially since its such a struggle to eat period. Well you don't have to worry about me giving in to the sugar demon anytime soon. My body is punishing me enough right now. I feel like total crap. Thanks for the push in the right direction guys.
Keith L.
on 10/14/13 12:22 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Every time you are tempted to go off plan, ask yourself this simple question. Why did you take the drastic measure to remove most of your stomach if you are not going to let it save your life?

caiguise
on 10/14/13 12:07 pm

Keith,

STICK TO COCOA!  A chunk of sweet chocolate bar is one matter, but chocolate mass itself is a separate issue.  From Optifast pre-surgery to the protein mixes, I've relied on cutting the sweetness with Dutch process cocoa to make things like whey protein isolate palateable.  I don't have much of a taste for sweetness in drinks, and have found most protein powders too much.  Adding a tablespoon of chocolate, in the form of Dutch-process cocoa powder gives a chocolate burst and reduces sweetness.  Twenty calories, 0.5g fat, 2 carbs, 0 sugars.  No beating yourself up afterwards.

Keith L.
on 10/14/13 12:24 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Great suggestions but wrong person. I was the one being the bad cop, not the chocolate eater.

AdeanaMarie
on 10/14/13 3:48 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

Sadly, chocolate does not make me sick.  I love it.  I cannot keep it around the house in large amounts, but I do have a bit here and there.  It is a trigger food for me, so I have to be careful.  But I do allow it.  Darker the better.

What makes me sick.  Yikes, sugary drinks.  I got so sick this weekend.  Didn't throw up, but very nauseated and bathroom distress.  Had a Biggby small frozen apple cider.  Never doing that again.  Bad calorie choice on my part, but the horrible feeling I felt, I do not want to feel again.  Probably the closest I have been to "dumping syndrome".  Not fun.  I know I feel awful when I have sugar, not sure what compelled me to do it, other than I was thirsty and I had met a friend for lunch, went shopping and then we were going to chat at the coffee house.  Could and should have gotten a decaf coffee and used cream and stevia.  Silly me.  Lesson learned.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

happyteacher
on 10/14/13 7:56 am

Nope- but I can tolerate everything

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views