"Batwings" = the damn devil!

rbrown116
on 10/20/13 3:24 am - IA
VSG on 08/08/13

At 25 years old, I have always had large, flabby arms. Now that I'm losing weight rather quickly, the batwings are here - and I'm afraid they are here to stay. 

I met with PT a few weeks ago, and unfortunately, they only gave me one or two ideas for how to get rid of these things. I have a great weight set at home and unfortunately that's all I have for equipment. 

Any tips/routines for battling these darn things?? I fear that I will eventually have to have surgery for them, but I'd like to do whatever I can now to try and stop them for getting worse. 

HW: 330lbs, SW: 307.2, GW: 140lbs
Surgery: VSG  Date: August 8th, 2013
Month 1-25.6, Month 2-13.8

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/13 4:39 am

The only thing that you can do is to build muscle under the skin.  There is nothing at all that can be done with the skin that does not involve surgery.  If anyone tells you differently, don't listen to them.  On the positive side, my skin did get a tiny bit better over time.  What I mean is that it was worse right after I reached goal and is now not very noticeable at all.  It took about a year for that to happen so hopefully your youth with help and your skin will bounce back a bit.  If a year after reaching goal you still are unhappy, talk to a plastic surgeon.  It becomes a choice between bat wings or scars.  

busboss1
on 10/20/13 5:02 am
VSG on 12/18/12

I feel your pain! I saw a woman when I was shopping a while back who must have had surgery for her batwings and WOW, I would not use her surgeon! The scars were extremely noticeable but I do think she must have just had it done. They were very red and from her elbow, all the way up her arms.

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

The_True_KayD
on 10/20/13 6:14 am

I am going to call my either Butterfly wings or Angel wings! 

Glow2182
on 10/21/13 12:42 am - WA

I love this idea!

*love your body and yourself*

HW 505  SW 446  GW 200.       VSG Surgery on 1/22/14

The_True_KayD
on 10/21/13 3:11 am

Thank you! I have hated myself long enough. So far hating myself has not worked well for me! (100 lbs pounds to loose). I realized why not try a different attitude.  I love myself and my life to have this surgery. I will be grateful for every outcome! Wings and all!  

sonia29
on 10/20/13 6:17 am

The only solution is plastic surgery:(

29y/ 5'4 / HW 265/SW 255/CW 120.1/Final goal 125

Debra M.
on 10/20/13 6:17 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
Scars take about 2 years to fully mature. (Go from red to white). I am thinking about surgery and trying to decide. Good luck making your decisions about what to do.

mickeymantle
on 10/20/13 6:27 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

your young so it might improve somewhat, building muscle will help , but only surgery will get rid of it completely

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

INgirl
on 10/20/13 10:37 am

I have had consults regarding brachioplasty.. it's one of the most scar vs skin trade off and many PS will advise against it if your skin isn't bad enough.. The scars tend to become more ropey and wide as it's a area with a lot of movement, there's more risk with tightness needing revisions.. but.. over time the scars do go silver and aren't AS noticeable. Not sure whether it's worth it yet for me personally. Building some real muscle (heavy weights, low reps) does WONDERS for the muscles which despite the extra skin, makes it look a lot better. Having a nice foundation to drape over is a big plus. I have not had plastics, I may never as I'm a coward and I'd like a nice shiny car first.. but building real muscle is the best advice, plus the more muscle you have as you age the better you are health-wise. Does nothing to combat the damage from being obese all these years, but if you get lean enough- that extra skin is just empty skin over sexy muscle. Not half bad in my book.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views