We are NOT invincible!

ALAN J.
on 11/6/13 12:12 am

A lot of you all don’t know me because it’s going on 2 years since I had my surgery.  Like many of you, I had a really tough start to my VSG journey, but then things picked up fast!  I lost just over 80 pounds in 8 months and reached my target weight.  Everything was great for several months.  I was able to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted to eat it, and I didn’t gain even 1 pound.  This lasted about 6 months or so.

Now just one month before my 2 year anniversary I have found myself heavier… 24 POUNDS HEAVIER to be exact.  I remember thinking back last December that I was pretty much invincible to weight gain… I couldn’t have been more wrong!

I am now having to get back to the basics, watch my food intake (and the quantities of what I eat), times of the day that I eat, and of course apply a bit of self control.

It doesn’t matter how long ago you had surgery, we are not INVINCIBLE and are all susceptible to falling back into our old habits.

Highest WGT-295, Surgery WGT-295, Goal WGT-215 - 80LB LOST in 8 months!

acbbrown
on 11/6/13 12:20 am - Granada Hills, CA

I dont think this realization comes to most people until about 2 years out or so. Before then, life looks really good....At 1 yr out, no one could have convinced me that Id end up gaining 30 lbs....but here I am.

The great thing though is that we will always have our tool which still works if we use it...at least for me, post-sleeve, I feel like I have more to fight for in controlling my weight. I used to give up way to easily before with all my other diet attempts but not anymore.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ALAN J.
on 11/6/13 1:52 am

movis
on 11/6/13 12:26 am
VSG on 07/16/13

Good luck Alan.  It takes courage to confess a regain, but this community will help you in your lifelong journey.  I applaud you for nipping it at 24 lbs. 

Movis   HW: 341,  Surgeon Consult: 333,  SW: 300,  CW: 195

ALAN J.
on 11/6/13 1:52 am

Thank you!

KrisJ77
on 11/6/13 12:38 am - TX

I had surgery 1/31/2011 and was doing great until I started snacking more....I finally got brave and stepped on the scale today - I have gained back 33 pounds. I refuse to beat myself up about it. It is what it is... I am back on track as of yesterday and am determined to lose it!!  We can do it!!!

ALAN J.
on 11/6/13 1:51 am

You are 100% correct!  We CAN do this! 

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/13 12:48 am, edited 11/6/13 2:00 am

Thank you for posting this.  Regain has been my greatest fear and I sometimes find myself feeling like a lonely voice in the wilderness screaming at newbies about a topic they find absolutely impossible to understand.  After all, it seems so clear and simple in the early months.  No, we are not invincible, far from it.  The most current research actually points in the complete opposite direction, it is rather discouraging.  Our bodies are set to fight us for the rest of our lives and it is our job to stay vigilant, committed and mindful even years after achieving goal.  People often wonder why I am still here and still so involved and although there are many answers to that question, my fear of regain is one huge reason why this place still has value tor me.  You can get the weight off again, I have seen it done.  Good for you for catching it at 24 pounds, it could have been worse.  Go back to tracking your food and journaling, the research shows that you will lose more and do it quicker if you do this.  Good luck.

ALAN J.
on 11/6/13 1:54 am

Guess this was my wake-up call!  Honestly until today, I thought I was one of the very few that this happens to... I am glad to be back!

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/13 12:52 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

I am sorry to hear that Alan.I'm very proud of you for stepping on the scale. Were your pants getting too tight now and you knew you'd gained some weight? OR could you just feel the weight gain? I've read enough posts on here to know that many people have regained some weight. I never thought I was invincible. A little fear of regain never hurt and I have regain fear :-).  I still eat the same things I did in weight loss, which is mostly protein and some complex carbs. I use my skinny jeans that are sorta tight as my gauge. If they are tighter than usual, I'm looking at my intake to see what is going on and make sure they fit back to normal asap

Bottom line you can do this. You had to go back to watching your intake just like you did after VSG and you've done it before and you can do it again. Good luck. 

Most Active