I'm The Luckiest Woman In The World!!!

Italian-Princess
on 11/20/13 7:45 am, edited 11/20/13 10:35 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Buona Sera OH Family,

Yes, this is long and it includes many of the "gory details" of what's been happening -- read at your own risk LOL!!

July 28, 1947 was the day I was born -- my first chance at life.  June 28, 2012 is the day I got Myrtle, my sleeve -- my second chance at life.  November 6, 2013 brought another surgery and gave me my THIRD chance at life.  Who is that lucky?  ME, Ree, that's who!

When I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer on June 25, this year, little did I know what I would face, but face it I would with as much humor and determination I could muster.  July and August were filled with chemotherapy and radiation treatments.  I was so lucky that I didn't get any radiation burns or any skin issues at all other than a little darkening of the skin under the girls -- that's fading already!  I did lose most of my hair -- but wigs are cute these days!!!  The entire month of September was devoted to having every test that could be done covering an area from my head to my knees.  I won't tell you about those -- just know that there was no fun to be had -- just grueling, and sometimes painful, testing.  I do have on advantage being a woman -- no test for prostate trouble LOL LOL LOL!!!

October 1 doctor appointment set the date of my surgery along with an explanation of what would be done to fix me.  That day also brought news that there was a small mass on my left lung which had to be removed for a complete biopsy -- if that mass was malignant, the BIG surgery wasn't going to happen.  October 14, the mass was removed and on October 15, I came home.  Finally, on October 18, I learned it was benign and the next surgery would take place on schedule.

Two weeks ago today, my AMAZING medical team deflated my right lung to access my esophagus, cut into my left lower neck to give my Thoracic Surgeon additional access to it, and my Primary Surgeon made a 16 inch abdominal incision to access my large intestine so he could use a piece of it to make a new esophagus for me.  I now have Franenguts!!!  They were not able to pull up my stomach as is how this surgery would be done normally -- but with a sleeve, the piece of the large intestine had to be used instead.  Nice that they didn't have to alter my sleeve at all -- pyloric valve is still there and working.  They did have to remove a tiny piece of my stomach so that the chunk of large intestine could be attached properly -- the additional good news about that is the piece they removed is the part that produces reflux -- no more of that for me now!!!

That first week was rough -- my blood pressure the night of surgery was in the 70/40 range -- not good, then I had 2 bouts of atrial fibrillation -- the first one with over 180 beats a minute -- NOT GOOD, plus my blood pressure fell again to the 70/40 range.  The second bout of AFIB was 2 nights later, but that time, my blood pressure stayed in the 100/70 range, so not so bad.  It seems they found the right combo of meds to stabilize everything -- I'm so grateful.  This surgery can make a heart a little angry -- doesn't like its space invaded, I guess, so when it gets a little jostled, it goes into AFIB.  No heart damage, no heart disease -- I'm so lucky.

Tubes and catheters and needles and all kinds of stuff made those first few days uncomfy, for sure -- but I was determined to get free -- in some cases 2-3 days ahead of schedule!  A PICC line sure helped and was inserted 3 days after surgery.  They couldn't believe my progress -- especially for an old geezerette!  I was even off all pain meds after the first week!  Those heparin shots were nasty to deal with 3 times a day, but they did the job.  We sleevers have resolve and determination like no other people!!!  They even had me wakling the day after surgery -- we sleevers are DOERS!!!

A week after surgery, I was still in the hospital -- my Primary Surgeon came in with my pathology report -- NO MORE CANCER!!!  I really did shed a few tears of happiness!  Las Friday, November 15, I was released from the hospital -- 4 days early!!!  Being a sleever, I weighed myself the moment I walked through my door.  TWENTY FREAKIN' POUNDS -- all those IV drips and fluids and tube feedings amount to TWENTY POUNDS!  GRRRRR  LOL  They will disappear -- it's all water weight!

We "test drove" my new esophagus while in the hospital (they kept up the j-tube feedings at night) -- I was able to follow the progression of the typical sleever's diet -- clear liquids, to full liquids, skip the mushies, and on to soft foods.  I did so well,, that I talked both my surgeons into letting me try to eat real food and not the oohblah stuff they were running into my small intestines through the j-tube!  Yesterday's doctor appointment was great -- as long as I don't lose anything beyond the water weight by December 17, they will remove the j-tube and I'll be "normal" again!

Today, exactly 2 weeks after this ginormous surgery, I drove for the first time -- did my own grocery shopping all by myself.  Took me about 2 hours to do an hour job, but I did it!  The spouse brought in the bags, though!

I'm so, so, so very lucky.  My heart overflows with the kindnesses from my MFP and OH families.  The cards, the phone calls in the hospital and at home, the lovely message left here and at MFP filled with prayers, good thoughts, juju and mojo and whatever wonderful vibes were sent -- you will never know how much it all has helped me.  I'm whole again, with my third chance to make a good life.  As I continue to heal and gain my strength back, I will attempt to be more giving to posters here and at MFP -- I just need a little more patience from everyone.                                                                                 

To all who have stuck with me through this, thank you for being a part of this life-affirming surgery -- and for being a big part of my support system.  I'm not sure I could have done this well, this quickly, without all you thoughtful, lovely people.  I love each of you and send my thanks and hugs,

Hugs and love,

Ree xoxox

5' 1.5" Tall.............69 years YOUNG!!!! Esophageal cancer survivor.

mlasecki10
on 11/20/13 7:58 am

Congratulations on being Cancer free!! That is huge.. My father went through the same thing except they had to use his stomach to pull up instead. I know how hard the surgery is he was in the icu for 2 weeks and then another week in a regular room. My father was a bigger man before the surgery so it was extremely tough on him to handle everything that came from the surgery.. Congrats you have overcome such an huge hurtle and still have such a great attitude about it!

`

Surgey date: 11/12/2013 post op  

Italian-Princess
on 11/22/13 1:43 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Thank you for sharing your own story.  I know it would have been much more difficult had I not had my sleeve and lost a large percentage of my excess weight.  I hope your Dad is doing well now.  And be proud of all you've accomplished already!  Keep up the good work!

linzeelee
on 11/20/13 8:08 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Your news and your wonderful attitude warms my heart. I am SO very happy for you!!!!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Italian-Princess
on 11/22/13 1:43 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Thank you :-)

You're doing a great job -- stay with it and you'll be at goal in no time!  WTG!!!

full-of-hopen
on 11/20/13 8:16 am

Ree --we are also "lucky ones" to have you in our lives; I am so happy that you are doing so well!!! Follow your doctors orders and be patient with yourself...major healing taking place in your body.....you are a most amazing, brave, strong, kind and caring person my friend...xoxoxo barb

HW: 248 Consult Wt: 245 Surgery WT: 225 (VSG 7-25-12) Goal Wt: 135  (5-15-13)               Current Wt: 125

M 1: 18   M 2: 13  M3:  9  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8  M7: 8  M8: 6  M9: 6  M10:  6  M11:  3  M12: 2 M13:  2  M14:  1

Italian-Princess
on 11/22/13 1:46 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Oh Barb!!! :-)  Thank you for all you've done to keep me encouraged through this.  I'm doing really well now.  Just one more thing to get free from (the feeding tube) and I'll be a real girl again LOL

One of the things about that impresses me so much is that you've been at goal and continue to post here and on MFP..........you are one fantastic friend to have and I'm grateful for your friendship!  xoxox

frisco
on 11/20/13 8:29 am

Not gonna lie.... it was hard for me to read your earlier posts about your issues......

Love this post !!!!

Great news !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Italian-Princess
on 11/22/13 1:47 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Thank you, Frisco.  Sorry if you found earlier posts "downers" but I did try to keep a sense of humor and be upbeat no matter what.  I know having a good attitude helps.............as does the continued support of nice people such as yourself.

xoxox

TeashaLorna
on 11/20/13 8:48 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Ree - you are such a wonderful person with a heart of gold. I am so happy for you and so happy selfishly that I get to see your posts and enjoy your positive attitude and your shear love for life and humanity. You truly humble me. Thank You! You are such an inspiration. Hugs and tons of great mojo over to you sweetness.

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Most Active