Cooking for my family

Gwen M.
on 12/8/13 12:49 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm still pre-op, but I'm trying to be as prepared as possible!  

One of my biggest concerns has to do with cooking.  I love cooking, I love cooking for my family, and it's something that's very important to me to continue with.  I love experimenting and trying new recipes, I rarely cook the same think more than once or twice in a year.  

Are any of you hobby cooks?  How did surgery change your cooking habits?  Especially if you feed other people?  I figure we'll have "boring food" in the beginning, which my family is prepared to handle, but will I be able to cook exciting things again?  

I've run across a number of food blogs with WLS recipes, but are there any physical cookbooks you all would recommend?  

mmmesser
on 12/8/13 1:41 am

I am not a cooking hobby person but I do get the rare itch to cook something.  I find that there are so many NEW ways to cook because of this surgery and its needs to be successful.  I would think that once you get to a stage where you can experiment (which won't be that far out really) and include more variations in food that you will LOVE all the new recipes you get to try.  If you prefer cookbooks as opposed to internet recipes I would go for south beach and/or atkins cookbooks (just being mindful of fat content with the atkins).  But if you haven't tried Pinterest.com you really should go for that and there is specific boards and people who ONLY deal with VSG recipes on that website.  Have fun!

mmmesser
on 12/8/13 1:43 am
Keith L.
on 12/8/13 11:01 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Keep in mind that the changes you are making are to be more healthy so that should not exclude your family. You will change how you cook to some degree and certainly what you cook and there is nothing wrong with your family eating what you eat. My family is right up on the wagon with me. I cook for them and when they cook they cook meals that are low carb/vsg friendly too. So you are going to look for recipes that are high in protein, low in carbohydrates and always veggies. You will cut out potatoes (although I still make them for my family on occassion but not nearly as much as we used to), white rice, pasta, and sugar. These are all things that will benefit your family too. Since you are such an experienced cook I think you will enjoy the challenge of how to make your old stand bys in such a way that you can eat them. I spent my pre-op diet and post-op liquid/soft food phases obsession over recipes and watching cooking videos. It helped satisfy the food monster and I learned a lot about what these recipes should include and how to cut carbs down.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

MuttLover
on 12/9/13 1:58 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I never cooked boring food because I felt that would sabotage my success.  I love to cook, and just focused my efforts on preparing things that were tasty, but low carb.  I too would make a starch for others sometimes, but when you are cooking meats, there is no need for them to be boring!

The only big change I made was technique -- I don't fry things often and I use very little breading.  Mostly a sprinkle of panko on top of something broiled to give it a crunch -- and look for the minimum needed for binding in meatballs or meatloaf.

Best of luck -- I bet you'll come up with the some recipes!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Most Active