How much liquids on day after surgery and later days??

DanielaGiron
on 12/12/13 6:05 am - Canada
VSG on 12/09/13

I can even finish a 500ml of water and I'm worried about dehydration...

mickeymantle
on 12/12/13 7:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

thats much to little thats like 16 oz and you need 65 oz , around 2 liters

I would call my surgeon , I was still in the hospital on the day after surgery and just startied drinking that morning

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Scribbles
on 12/12/13 7:17 am - Canada
VSG on 12/05/13

That isn't enough, but the first few days are incredibly difficult. With the program I'm on, they told me that in the first few days I'd be lucky to be able to take 2 teaspoons of jello and half a cup of water, and they were right. A week out, I'll have gotten in 1500mL, and that will be the closest I've gotten to my 2300mL goal.

Annievvho
on 12/12/13 9:19 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I could barely get in the 30 ml cups of fluid in 1 hour the day after surgery, but I was still in the hospital and had an iv. The day after I had to increase to 2 30 ml cups in an hour, then 3 and they took out my iv. On that do, I was having to go to the bathroom every 2 hours and I was peeing a lot from all the if fluids, so I had a good starting point for hydration when I came home. I'm still struggling to get in enough each day, but I'm up to at least 1200 ml. I have been a little worried about hydration, but as long as my mouth doesn't get too dry, I just keep sipping and try not to worry too much.

min2758
on 12/12/13 1:30 pm, edited 12/12/13 1:31 pm - Boise, ID

For the first 5 days after surgery, I had lots of pain when I swallowed any kind of liquid especially water!  Broth was almost as bad.  I did my best with what I could, and that meant a LOT of jello.  Good thing I like jello!  I'm convinced that jello kept me out of the hospital for dehydration!  If you can do it, go for it.  Often.  I made a plan on my 4th day that I MUST take in 6oz of liquid every hour, in one form or another.  I had jello, crushed ice, cream of whatever soup, yogurt, slim fasts (I still had a few left over from my pre op diet) anything I could get down. I didn't always make it but I came close enough to not have a dehydration problem.  I even measured out 1oz of water in those little cups they gave me from the hospital and forced one down every so often.  I tracked my liquids on paper to FORCE myself to be aware of it and DO something about it.  Yogurt was the easiest for me to get down.

isign4u
on 12/12/13 2:09 pm
Try sf popsicles.... each one is around 4oz. We had our surgery same day. Today I got in a little over 30 ounces and I really had to push. Tomorrow I'm shooting for 40. The popsicles have really helped! You will be okay if you just keep increasing it. We still have a lot of those iv fluids, but you don't want to get behind either. The number one sign of dehydration is nausea. Take it one hour at a time and document everything. Take care!
"One mistake does not a day make"        
DanielaGiron
on 12/12/13 8:44 pm - Canada
VSG on 12/09/13

Thank you so very much, I'm taking all of your advise :).. Especially the taking note of quantities and setting an hourly goal... I've been going to bathroom a lot but no nausea, just painful drinking lol

tysmom01
on 12/13/13 10:27 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

I had a really hard time getting in my fluids the first 3/4days. I was just feeling so bloated and full all the time. I just kept sipping on my water and broth as much and as often as I could. I always had either broth or water with me throughout the day.  But by the end of the week, I was able to get in 3 16oz bottles easy. And then with each passing day, it got easier and easier. So hang in there! It will get better!!

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

ITwon
on 12/13/13 7:41 pm - Woonsocket, RI

The first two days in the hospital were terrible. Every sip hurt and made be burp. By a weeks time I was drinking normally. It'll get better fast hopefully for you as well, just hang in there.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views