switching from rny to sleeve

lmcintyre85
on 12/14/13 1:06 pm
VSG on 01/15/14
Well my surgery is scheduled for January 15 for rny but after heavy thinking and weighing the pros and cons I decided I want the sleeve. I decided this mainly on the malasbpirtion issues thatI definetly don't want. So I emailed my patient advocate this evening to let them know I am requesting a change. I am currently 287ish now and need to be 267 at surgery and will be starting my pre op diet tomorrow. I would love to hear any success stories or advice with the sleeve! Thanks everyone

ataglimpse
on 12/14/13 1:30 pm
VSG on 04/09/14

That's great I am happy for you.   I will be sleeved January 2.  I don't think you will regret choosing VSG over the RNY.  Best wishes with your pre-op diet.  I am battling the carb monster currently.  Boy can I get grumpy!!  You can do it....one step at a time:)

mickeymantle
on 12/14/13 2:58 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

both surgeries work great if you stay on plan , the sleeve has less problems and a better lifestyle

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Jus1nita
on 12/14/13 3:19 pm - TX
VSG on 09/23/13

I love my sleeve!  Not sure what others who have had RNY experience because I have not followed their stories, but what I like about the sleeve is that I feel normal.  Meaning, the restriction has assisted me in changing how I think because it reminds me that I can't eat this or that.  While I was not obsessed with food, as far as "living to eat", I definitely ate all the wrong types of food that were very high in carbs because I ate to to make up for lack of sleep sometimes only getting 3 hours of sleep a night from working full-time, going to school full-time, and single parenting child who is very active in sports activities.  

Now, that my mind has adjusted, it's as if I seamlessly make the right choices in foods.  I no longer eat bad carbs, in fact, I don't even think about eating them.  I no longer even think about eating a double cheeseburger, fries, and shake.  LOL  Even if I wanted to, I couldn't.  It feels great to sit down to eat and you're so hungry, you think you feel like you can eat a whole plate of pasta, only to take two or three small bites of grilled chicken, and taking a 4th bite is unthinkable because its just not doable.

Because of the restriction the sleeve provides, you'll find yourself eating the right foods because anything bad, does just that... it makes you feel BAD!  Not bad as in guilty... bad, but bad in that your body just seems to reject bad foods and make you feel very uncomfortable, or at least that's how it is for me.  LOL  I remember one time eating something, can't remember what, but it was a lot, and because of what it was, I felt as if I'd eaten two cows and a baby chicken.  LOL  I learned quickly, stick to grilled, broiled, and baked anything other than that is bad business.  I never wanted to have that uncomfortable feeling again.  LOL

To me, my weight loss appears slower than RNY patients, but it's consistent, currently averaging 2 - 3 lbs. a week (43 total in less than 3 months), which isn't drastic so it allows changes in your body not to run ahead of any psychological changes that you may need to make... if that makes any sense?  It's like... I can go on and on (which as you can see... I have!) LOL  only to tell you that its something that you have to experience for yourself because the sleeve leaves you feeling like you are in your natural state, because it doesn't drastically and aggressively alter the way you digest food as with RNY... you just eat less of it, and the way you think of food adjusts to the fact that you can only eat very little. 

All-in-all, what I'm saying is that everyone's experience is different, as you are already aware.  For me, it has been the best decision I could have ever made because its not drastic.  After doing extensive research, I made the choice for the sleeve because, again, it is restrictive tool and doesn't alter the way you digest food.  You'll hear many times over, "WLS is only a tool to assist you, it is not a miracle, you still have to eat right and exercise or else you gain the weight back or not lose anything at all"  All of that is true, butt guess what, on those days when you slip up and eat the wrong thing, you will not eat very much of it.... you're sleeve will definitely make sure of that.  LOL  

Now, if a person has an eating disorder, and is obsessed with food, RNY, Duodenal Switch, VSG, Band.... none of it is going to help cause a person who has a psychological eating disorder can and will eat past any type of WLS, and will need a good therapist to resolve those issues.  So what I did to help me in my decision is first determine where my weaknesses were, after pinpointing the problem, I discussed it thoroughly with my doctor, and we looked at the surgeries that would best fit my situation, and it was determined that I needed restriction.  So, yes... VSG works for me in restricting my food intake... and I like that!

Jus1nita
on 12/14/13 3:34 pm - TX
VSG on 09/23/13

I love my sleeve!  Not sure what others who have had RNY experience because I have not followed their stories, but what I like about the sleeve is that I feel normal.  Meaning, the restriction has assisted me in changing how I think because it reminds me that I can't eat this or that.  While I was not obsessed with food, as far as "living to eat", I definitely ate all the wrong types of food that were very high in carbs because I ate to to make up for lack of sleep sometimes only getting 3 hours of sleep a night from working full-time, going to school full-time, and single parenting child who is very active in sports activities.  

Now, that my mind has adjusted, it's as if I seamlessly make the right choices in foods.  I no longer eat bad carbs, in fact, I don't even think about eating them.  I no longer even think about eating a double cheeseburger, fries, and shake.  LOL  Even if I wanted to, I couldn't.  It feels great to sit down to eat and you're so hungry, you think you feel like you can eat a whole plate of pasta, only to take two or three small bites of grilled chicken, and taking a 4th bite is unthinkable because its just not doable.

Because of the restriction the sleeve provides, you'll find yourself eating the right foods because anything bad, does just that... it makes you feel BAD!  Not bad as in guilty... but bad in that your body just seems to reject bad foods and make you feel very uncomfortable, or at least that's how it is for me.  LOL  I remember one time eating something, can't remember what, but it wasn't a lot, and because of what it was, I felt as if I'd eaten two cows and a baby chicken.  LOL  I learned quickly, stick to grilled, broiled, and baked anything other than that is bad business.  I never wanted to have that uncomfortable feeling again.  LOL

To me, my weight loss appears slower than RNY patients, but it's consistent, currently averaging 2 - 3 lbs. a week (43 total in less than 3 months), which isn't drastic so it allows changes in your body not to run ahead of any psychological changes that you may need to make... if that makes any sense?  It's like... I can go on and on (which as you can see... I have!) LOL  only to tell you that its something that you have to experience for yourself because the sleeve leaves you feeling like you are in your natural state, because it doesn't drastically and aggressively alter the way you digest food as with RNY... you just eat less of it, and the way you think of food adjusts to the fact that you can only eat very little. 

All-in-all, what I'm saying is that everyone's experience is different, as you are already aware.  For me, it has been the best decision I could have ever made because its not drastic.  After doing extensive research, I made the choice for the sleeve because, again, it is restrictive tool and doesn't alter the way you digest food.  You'll hear many times over, "WLS is only a tool to assist you, it is not a miracle, you still have to eat right and exercise or else you gain the weight back or not lose anything at all"  All of that is true, butt guess what, on those days when you slip up and eat the wrong thing, you will not eat very much of it.... you're sleeve will definitely make sure of that.  LOL  

Now, if a person has an eating disorder, and is obsessed with food, RNY, Duodenal Switch, VSG, Band.... none of it is going to help cause a person who has a psychological eating disorder can and will eat past any type of WLS, and will need a good therapist to resolve those issues.  So what I did to help me in my decision is first determine where my weaknesses were, after pinpointing the problem, I discussed it thoroughly with my doctor, and we looked at the surgeries that would best fit my situation, and it was determined that I needed restriction.  So, yes... VSG works for me in restricting my food intake... and I like that!

Jus1nita
on 12/14/13 3:36 pm - TX
VSG on 09/23/13

I love my sleeve!  Not sure what others who have had RNY experience because I have not followed their stories, but what I like about the sleeve is that I feel normal.  Meaning, the restriction has assisted me in changing how I think because it reminds me that I can't eat this or that.  While I was not obsessed with food, as far as "living to eat", I definitely ate all the wrong types of food that were very high in carbs because I ate to to make up for lack of sleep sometimes only getting 3 hours of sleep a night from working full-time, going to school full-time, and single parenting a child who is very active in sports activities.  

Because of the restriction the sleeve provides, you'll find yourself eating the right foods because anything bad, does just that... it makes you feel BAD!  Not bad as in guilty... but bad in that your body just seems to reject bad foods and make you feel very uncomfortable, or at least that's how it is for me.  LOL  I remember one time eating something, can't remember what, but it wasn't a lot, and because of what it was, I felt as if I'd eaten two cows and a baby chicken.  LOL  I learned quickly, stick to grilled, broiled, and baked anything other than that is bad business.  I never wanted to have that uncomfortable feeling again.  LOL

Jus1nita
on 12/14/13 3:41 pm - TX
VSG on 09/23/13

I love my sleeve!  Not sure what others who have had RNY experience because I have not followed their stories, but what I like about the sleeve is that I feel normal.  Meaning, the restriction has assisted me in changing how I think because it reminds me that I can't eat this or that.  While I was not obsessed with food, as far as "living to eat", I definitely ate all the wrong types of food that were very high in carbs because I ate to to make up for lack of sleep sometimes only getting 3 hours of sleep a night from working full-time, going to school full-time, and single parenting a child who is very active in sports activities.  

Now, that my mind has adjusted, it's as if I seamlessly make the right choices in foods.  I no longer eat bad carbs, in fact, I don't even think about eating them.  I no longer even think about eating a double cheeseburger, fries, and shake.  LOL  Even if I wanted to, I couldn't.  It feels great to sit down to eat and you're so hungry, you think that you feel like you can eat a whole plate of pasta, caesar salad, and french bread with loads of buttery garlic spread, only to take two or three small bites of grilled chicken, and taking a 4th bite is unthinkable because its just not doable because you feel full and satisfied... anything past that will make you feel overly stuffed and uncomfortable.  LOL

Jus1nita
on 12/14/13 3:46 pm - TX
VSG on 09/23/13

Oh Geeze!  Not only was that long, it posted I don't know how many times!  LOL  Ok, fully embarrassed!  Going to bed and pretend I don't know me.  LOL

luvbskts
on 12/15/13 12:00 am

lol

KJS1228
on 12/14/13 7:20 pm

I did the same. Started out deciding to get the RNY, but after a lot of research and consultation with a few doctors, we all agreed the sleeve would be the better surgery for me.  I couldn't be happier.  All of my levels have stayed great, haven't had the malabsorption issues, and have lost well!  Best of luck to you....just work your sleeve and you will do a great job!!

HW:  306   |   CW:  148.8|   GW:  149   Sleeved 5/30/13  Friend me on MFP: KJS1228

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views