Catastrophic fix with leaks

Sassy75
on 1/15/14 9:41 am - North York, Canada

Good evening, 

I am in toronto and hoping to get a sleeve as I have celiac disease. When I had a consultation with my surgeon today he advised me that the risks with the sleeve are worse than those with gastric bypass as it is harder to fix a leak with a sleeve and ultimately they may have to remove my entire stomach should a leak happen.... I am now terrified..... I don't know if he is trying to scare me into the bypass or if this is true as I have never read this in all of my research. At the end of the day if this is the only option for me then it is what it is but I would like to know if anyone has heard of this or experienced this..... Help please!!!! In toronto the bypass is standard and the sleeve us done on rare cases. My surgeon has only done 5 himself. 

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 1/15/14 9:57 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

I'd say you need a different doc.  

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

Sassy75
on 1/15/14 10:06 am - North York, Canada

Unfortunately because the procedure is paid for by our provincial health care system we have to go with the doctor they assign to us. 

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/15/14 10:07 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Second the motion for a different surgeon. 

grayC
on 1/15/14 10:10 am
VSG on 05/01/13

RUN don't walk away from this Dr..he's trying to scare you and you need to find a surgeon with more sleeve experience..

we have many Canadians here who I'm sure can give you advice and maybe a referral on who they used...

my friend had a leak with sepsis and although it was scary and dangerous, he was I and our if the hospital for months

he had to have stints put in and then removed,

and had to heal naturally which took over 3 months, leaks are a very rare thing...( they happen but are rare)

I have never heard of them ever having to remove the whole stomach b/c of leak..

emelar
on 1/15/14 10:12 am - TX

He's trying to scare you.  Both procedures use the staple gun, so there's a possibility of leaks with both.  In fact, the RNYer can suffer from a fissure (disruption of the staple line) years after surgery, leading to food dropping into the remnant stomach.  There are risks with both - vsg is no riskier a surgery than rny.

mokee
on 1/15/14 1:15 pm - OH

He's not experienced at the sleeve.   Do not let him touch you.   Find another way to get the sleeve.

VSG  12-28-2012

ATL_VSG
on 1/15/14 1:18 pm

If your surgeon has only done five VSG's, then his lack of experience might be what makes it more risky than RnY.  As a grad student, I have access to all the medical journals at my university and VSG consistently ranks either even with or slightly better than RnY in terms of complications. 

ATL_VSG
on 1/15/14 1:20 pm

Lol, what I meant to say say is that from the journals I've read...VSG ranks even or better.  Got ahead of myself.

KevinBacon
on 1/15/14 1:20 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

I am so sorry. I can't imagine the stress this has you under :(

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Most Active