Is it hunger?

DanielaGiron
on 1/17/14 10:11 am - Canada
VSG on 12/09/13

I'm 5 weeks out almost 6... And since last week I've been feeling a weird feeling like in top of belly, feels like nausea but not nausea, I drink water and it goes away for like 30 min then comes back, so I eat some protein and then like an hour after it comes back... It's too often to be hunger right?? Anyone ?

Tracy D.
on 1/17/14 10:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Could be acid.  Are you taking a PPI?

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

DanielaGiron
on 1/17/14 10:26 am - Canada
VSG on 12/09/13

Every morning as prescribed :)

Tracy D.
on 1/17/14 11:57 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had to try about 3 different ones before we hit on one that actually worked.  And honestly, I still got some breakthrough acid with that one.  Is it a prescription or OTC?   Protonix is what finally worked for me.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Cindy B.
on 1/17/14 10:46 am
VSG on 10/22/12

Maybe you need a different PPI. When you eat your protein, how dense is it? If you're eating dense protein like eggs, chicken, tuna, pork, beef or fish you probably aren't getting hungry that soon. If you're eating Greek yogurt or something like that you might get hungry faster, but I didn't that early out. We are all different, but I really didn't get hungry for a good 3 hours after eating protein, even yogurt or cottage cheese, until around the 9 month after surgery. It sure is hard to figure out what our little stomachs are trying to tell us sometimes!

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Deckeriv
on 1/17/14 10:12 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

It's acid. Can't be hunger. It can also be that some feeling is coming back and the nerves are starting to reroute their electrical signals. You will have all sort of weird feelings but don't assume it's hunger. If you had a hernia repair, it could be that your esophagus is reacting a little to the acid. You might need to increase your PPI for a few months till things settle down. Take it in the morning and in the evening. The generic Prilosec is cheap enough to take twice a day and not hurt your pocketbook too much. You can also chew up a couple of tums mid day to help too.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

hollykim
on 1/18/14 12:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

"can't" is a pretty definitive word. All of us are different and while some of us may feel no hunger immediately post op it  takes longer for others to lose their hunger, and some have varying degrees of hunger but never completely lose it. 

GL

Deckeriv
on 1/18/14 1:59 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

At 5 1/2 weeks you think you can "feel" hunger? Okay, but most people (actually it's all but I don't want to be so definitive) can't get a signal to their brain through a cut nerve. It takes many months before nerves regenerate and find alternate routes to send the signal. If people "think" it's hunger they will start eating every time they get a strange sensation. When it feels like hunger and you can drink 3 oz of water and the sensation goes away, how can you say it's "hunger"? We all have used food as comfort, that's why we were/are fat. Behavior has to change and accepting flawed thinking means things never change. Newbie's need to get off the hunger band wagon and look at truly figuring out why they have the sensation. Cramming food down your throat will stop the feeling of slight acid reflux and mask the real causation of the sensation. 

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

hollykim
on 1/19/14 6:09 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM Pacific Time, Deckeriv wrote:

At 5 1/2 weeks you think you can "feel" hunger? Okay, but most people (actually it's all but I don't want to be so definitive) can't get a signal to their brain through a cut nerve. It takes many months before nerves regenerate and find alternate routes to send the signal. If people "think" it's hunger they will start eating every time they get a strange sensation. When it feels like hunger and you can drink 3 oz of water and the sensation goes away, how can you say it's "hunger"? We all have used food as comfort, that's why we were/are fat. Behavior has to change and accepting flawed thinking means things never change. Newbie's need to get off the hunger band wagon and look at truly figuring out why they have the sensation. Cramming food down your throat will stop the feeling of slight acid reflux and mask the real causation of the sensation. 

how can you POSSIBLY think  YOU know EVERYtHING about EV eRYONE?  Because. Your surgeon said so? Please spare me and get your head out of you ass,it stinks in there.

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/14 1:40 am

The symptom you are describing could be attributed to so many different things. I think it would be best to discuss it with your surgeon. It might be worth trying a different PPI (It took me three to find the one that truly worked for me). Also, it could very well be that you stomach is just healing. I don't think it's all that abnormal for post VSG patients to feel all sorts of things once the nerve endings really start healing.

Good luck figuring this out. Hopefully, it won't take too long, and most of all, don't let it distress you terribly. It really does sound like an acid issue to me.

Most Active