Steroids for Injury

mmmesser
on 1/22/14 8:11 am

I had an injury to my shoulder/arm area just about 5 weeks ago.  I have been doing Physical therapy and seeing a doctor weekly and taking some flexeril and a NSAID as needed.  Today I was prescribed a steroid for possible Bursitis (as my arm and shoulder still hurt).  I called my surgeon's office to make sure I could take this medicine.  They said it was fine but I shouldn't be taking a lot of the NSAID as it can possibly cause an ulcer with long use.  Also, they informed me that the steroid can cause increased hunger.  Has anyone used steroid pills for some weeks and had increased hunger? 

Kathy8429
on 1/22/14 8:18 am

Yes

mmmesser
on 1/22/14 9:24 am

Short and sweet!  Like!

weese
on 1/22/14 9:28 am
VSG on 02/26/14

Yes but for me they make everything taste like cardboard...so one cancels out the other.   devil

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

changingmylife4ever
on 1/22/14 9:35 am

Not yes, but OMG heck yes. I hope i never have to take them again, especially since I have been sleeved. Last time I had them I wanted to eat every minute of my waking hours.

PrincessPR
on 1/22/14 11:52 am
VSG on 12/17/13

I've had years of high dose steroid therapy for lupus. It's part if the reason my weight got so out of hand!! Especially in the beginning, you'll feel famished all the time. Plus it causes ridiculous water retention!!!

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

Mandaroo
on 1/22/14 11:42 pm

Yes! They put me on steroids for my asthma from time to time and It makes me hungry. Ravishing actually! The best  advise i can give is to not give in! load up on calorie free liquids or low calorie snacks. Trust me if you don't the weight has a way of sneaking up on you. Good Luck! Now remember this doesn't happen to everyone but I'm one it DID!

TurnThePage
on 1/22/14 11:59 pm

Just had my shoulder replaced due to severe arthritis (hospital bill was over $56,000).

Over the past year or so I had 5 steroid injections to ease the severe pain until I was able to have the surgery.  The possibility of gaining weight from the steroids was the absolute least of my concerns. Without treatment, there would have been further damage to my joint, I would have either missed work or been very ineffective at my job, lost a lot of sleep due to discomfort, and alienated a lot of people around me because I was in such a bad mood due to pain.

If you don't do the necessary hard and painful work on a shoulder in physical therapy because it is painful, your shoulder can quickly freeze up, severely limiting your range of motion, perhaps permanently. That can lead to further degeneration of the shoulder joint. By the time that happens, you may be well on your way to having a total joint replacement. While the joint pain is gone after surgery, you will have a year of tough PT, your range of motion will never get anywhere near back to normal, you'll never lift more than 15 pounds with that arm, you will be in an immobilizing splint for 6 weeks and lose a lot of time for work, etc. etc.

Still think it is worth not taking the steroids because you might gain weight?   How about some portion control and will power, eh?

mmmesser
on 1/23/14 7:28 am

True that, 'Turn the Page'...yeah, I started them today.  It's just a 5 day course (for now).  I haven't felt any hunger or anything different period.  Maybe it's too soon.  I have to say I haven't felt any hunger (per typical).  I'm keeping a keen eye out though and definitely maintaining my portion control and definitely working off of will power (which I have plenty of at this point).  I'm micromanaging my calories and what I'm eating right now so there are NO excuses!  I'm sorry to hear about all the pain and money and therapy you have had to go through but yeah, you are right...definitely have to keep up with that stuff to prevent further problems down the road that makes a little pain in a certain position look like child's play in comparison.  Appreciate the feedback!  Keep strong and well!

Colleen O.
on 1/23/14 12:13 am
VSG on 04/09/14

I've been on steroids twice (once for a shoulder injury).  While almost every single person I know who has taken them has complained about increased hunger, I was the exact opposite.  I wanted nothing to do with food.  My father takes steroids frequently and he doesn't seem to be any more hungry either (though he does have TONS of energy and can't sleep when on them).  Maybe he and I are just freaks!

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

Most Active