help! anyone have to have abdominal CT??

starry957
on 1/28/14 1:23 am

Yikes - I presented at hospital several weeks ago with severe stomach "pain?" - never felt like anything I've ever had before - I've had it twice since - it passes and seems to be related to what I've eaten (off plan) and my bowels maybe?

Anyway, I am required to have a CT scan tomorrow on my abdomen - which I'm happy about because I'd like to know if there is anything going on in there - and it will show the stomach and bowels which I've had some issues with.

My problem??  I am so worried about drinking the "gastrografin prep" that you have to drink the night before and day of...I've heard people say that have not had VSG - they were sick to their stomach, got dehydrated, etc.....I know it's disgusting to drink too!

Anyone on here have to do this after you had VSG?  I'm worried with the small stomach that the side effects might be much greater?

Thanks so much

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Cassiodals
on 1/28/14 1:57 am

I had abdominal CT last July.  I did not have to take prep.  Had IV with dye.  Reason for CT was due to severe abdominal  pain .wanted to find out if I had  an aorta bleed.  Turns out I had gall stones.  Test not bad.

i had my VSG December 30,2014.

Does the ordering Doc know re your surgery? I understand your fear.

Good luck.

Mom_2_4
on 1/28/14 2:08 am
VSG on 05/22/13

The size of your stomach would not have an effect on the degree of side effects.  If your doctor knows you've had VSG there shouldn't be any problems.  I had to drink some radioactive thing the day after my VSG for a leak test.  Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it...

Good Luck.  I hope you feel better soon.

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

cajunlady1958
on 1/28/14 2:15 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
i have to have an abdominal ct next week. they are going to use dye in my vein because they say it gives a better picture. I had my vsg done 4/2012 and hopefully it will also show the size of my stomach now.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Gwen M.
on 1/28/14 2:26 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've had many abdominal CTs.  Most involve contrast via IV, which feels weird, but is fine.  I did have to do a solution that I drank once, I can't remember why though, and it was also fine.  It tasted unpleasant, but I didn't get sick and they had tolerable flavors.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

claudiaes
on 1/28/14 2:39 am, edited 1/28/14 2:39 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

I had a heart failure two weeks after my surgery and had to do an upper and lower body ct scan and had to drink some weird thing that tasted like dish soap and I was ok, but it was really nasty! 

AutumnAlways
on 1/28/14 8:10 am

Just got home from one today, surgery was only last week. I told her I had VSG and then I only had to drink four ounces or so. No side effects and no issues. 

You'll be fine. Good luck!

Autumn

Most Active