Need recipe for fish please

DanielaGiron
on 2/22/14 7:58 am - Canada
VSG on 12/09/13

I've never ever eaten fish, don't like the fishy smell, used to eat fried breaded shrimp but even that was more than 15 years ago and I see that fish is the best option for lean protein..

so can anyone share their simplest fish dish? Thanks

a friend suggested I start with talapia what u think?

GingerJen
on 2/22/14 8:05 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Thanks for posting. I just bought tilapia but don't know how to cook it

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

LovesDoggs
on 2/22/14 8:21 am - Clayton, CA

I am no great cook so let's hope someone else posts...but all I do is heat the oven to 375' then wash my Chilean sea bass, pat it dry with paper towel and sprinkle ground ginger, salt and pepper. Then I pour a little organic lemon juice (from costco) into the bottom to keep it moist cuz my NUT says moist is easier. I then toss it in the oven uncovered for 20 minutes, take out, and let stand 5 minutes after I took it out.  I also did a rockfish this way and I'm planning to try sole also. Sea bass is my favorite but it's costly and I try not to buy it too much.

just sprinkle whatever spices you typically like all over it. Some fish are fisher than others. Try them all...when are in this for life.

T. Kaupp

HW 241 SW 226 GW 140  CW 3/23/15   147   I can do this!!

LosingSarah
on 2/22/14 9:05 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Here is an easy & healthy way to cook pretty much any fish:

Take a covered baking dish or a couple pieces of tin foil (double layered)

Put your fish either in the baking dish or in the middle of the tin foil (thawed or frozen fish is fine)

Season with a tiny drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt & pepper, and I like Mrs Dash Garlic Herb seasoning, too.

Put a lid on the dish, or close up the tin foil to make pouch.

If you cook in tin foil put it on or in an oven safe dish or baking sheet in case it leaks.

Bake in a preheated oven 350 for 20-30 minutes (this depends on how much fish you're cooking, and how big the pieces are). I buy the individually packaged frozen pieces and usually cook one for myself and one for my daughter (hubby doesn't eat fish) and it's done in about 25 minutes.

When it's done my favorite way to eat it is to squeeze a wedge of lemon over it or a drizzle of Real Lemon juice if I don't have an actual lemon. Especially if you don't love fish the lemon makes a huge difference and I recommend it. Also, if I have a low calorie day planned I will put a tiny pat of real butter on my fish fillet after I plate it up. It adds a nice bit of flavor that compliments the lemon nicely.

Good luck! Overcooked fish isn't great, so if you need to find cooking temps and times for baked fish online.

Scribbler
on 2/22/14 9:23 am

Tilapia is good for the protein. Here's how I always cooked it:

1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. brush tilapia fillet lightly with olive oil, put it on a flat pan of some sort (a cast iron skillet will do in a pinch)
  3. sprinkle salt, pepper, and celery seed over the tilapia
  4. bake until the fish is cooked (flakes easily with a fork)
  5. garnish with lemon juice if you want, I like a little hot sauce, whatever you like
  6. Weigh portions to make sure you're getting enough but not too much... and eat!

Easier fish recipe:

1. Obtain can of water pack tuna
  2. Open can; drain ou****er
  3. Weigh out a portion of tuna
  4. Mix with mayonnaise of your choice, chopped onions, nuts and celery if you want 'em
  5. Place mixture into wedges of red bell pepper, lettuce leaves or onto cucumber slices, and eat! Yum!

My personal favorite fish recipe (warning: hardcore):

1. Obtain can of sardines, olive oil pack (highest omega-3 content)
  2. Open can, drain oil
  3. Dump a bunch of hot sauce into the can
  4. Mix
  5. Eat!

(Yes. I'm disgusting.)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/22/14 10:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you've never cooked fish before, I'd suggest checking out the frozen seafood at your grocery store. Gorton's (look for the yellow boxes) has several kinds of pre-seasoned filets that are really good, mostly tilapia and salmon that are mild with mostly garlicky sort of seasonings. When they're on sale at Safeway, I get a pack of two 4oz filets for about $3, so soon after surgery that was 4 meals' worth. Good stuff!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mimi2Konnor
on 2/22/14 11:02 am
RNY on 06/03/14

My favorite way to cook tilapia - fresh or frozen - is to put it on my indoor (electric) grill and grill it with some Mrs. Dash, Lemon Pepper, or Blackening seasoning on it.  I'm not a big fish eater but have tried to incorporate it into our routine.  I tried a couple of baked recipes and just didn't care for it, but I really do like it grilled. 

48F   5'10"   HW: 375   SW: 350  CW: 298 as of 9/11/14

Linda B.
on 2/22/14 4:20 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

A few days ago, I posted a list of cooking blogs, there is bound to be some great ideas on these. But, I have a few favorite ways to dress up fish.

Take the fish fillet of your choice (I like cod for this) and place in a baking dish (not a cookie type pan) and top it with chunky salsa (preferably fresh) and bake at 325 until it is opaque and flakes. Be careful to not overcook it.

All of the above except, lay thinly sliced lemons over the top of the fish and bake. You could also add thin sliced garlic or onions to the lemons.

Marinate salmon (wild caught only, farm raised has to many issues) in a mixture of low sodium soy sauce, garlic, fresh ginger, a little rice vinegar, and a little sugar free orange marmalade. Using a grill topper made for fish or smaller foods, grill until opaque and flaky.

Brush with a mixture of melted butter and olive oil (50/50) that is mixed with crushed garlic and key lime juice. Grill until done. This also works well with scallops or shrimp that have been skewered.

I hope that helps.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

trinoc
on 2/22/14 8:11 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Another way my family loves it is w/ some garlic pepper and parmesan cheese sprinkled on it.  Bake at 350 until flaky and then stick under the broiler for a minute to make the cheese a little "crunchy". 

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

DanielaGiron
on 2/22/14 10:05 pm - Canada
VSG on 12/09/13

Great ideas!! Thanks

Most Active