Four-Year Surgiversary

Mlkpas
on 3/18/14 3:12 am - Pasadena, CA

Yesterday was my four-year surgiversary, and if I hadn't gotten an email from OH reminding me of it, I think I would have forgotten all about it!  I just got back from a two-week vacation so my weight is up a couple of pounds, but generally I am happily maintaining at or below goal with no trouble.  I have become a total gym rat -- I work out with my trainer twice a week and go to boot camp classes at least three other days a week.  I've developed an interest in fashion like I never did before, which is super fun, if a little expensive! 

And more significantly, I finally gathered enough self-confidence and self-respect to leave a very dysfunctional marriage. It's been a year now, and although it's been hard I know it was the right thing to do and I'm very very glad I did it.  I would never have had the wherewithal to make that move before surgery.

In the scheme of things, I was a super-feather-lightweight, but my weight was a gigantic psychological burden for me my whole life.  I was a yo-yo dieter for 40 years and always felt like my weight made me less of a worthwhile person.  I know that wasn't true, but after all those years it was great having that monkey off my back.  Having this surgery was by far the best thing I ever did for myself, and I only wi**** had been available a long, long time ago.

If you're considering this surgery, my advice is do it!  I feel far, far more normal now with my tiny tummy than I ever did when I struggled with my weight for all those years.

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

sleevemama
on 3/18/14 3:28 am
VSG on 04/30/13

Happy 4 year Surgiversary! It is always exciting to hear from people farther out and how successful they have been. It is definitely encouraging, thank you for keeping us posted. Also, kudos to you on gaining so much confidence and self-respect and enjoying life!

HW:266 SW:229 GW:140 CW:140  Maintenance 11/6/13

Gwen M.
on 3/18/14 3:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats on all of your successes!!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/14 4:11 am

Awesome news all around! It is great to see you on the board. It's been a while.

Change is hard, but sometimes really for the better. I'm glad to hear things are going so well for you and that your confidence is at a level where it should be.

Congrats and 4 years of change and SUCCESS!

Slapshoot
on 3/18/14 4:14 am - Canada

Thank you so much for sharing. I am only 7 months out and love to hear about long timers and their successes. 

frisco
on 3/18/14 4:25 am

Congrats on 4 !!!!

No more monkey !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Tracy D.
on 3/18/14 4:45 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Happy to hear from a vet who is this far out and doing so well - thank you!   And congrats to you on making a better life for yourself 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

diane S.
on 3/18/14 5:43 am

good to hear from you and congrats on four years of ditching that monkey. as a four year person, once in awhile there is a brief sighting of  the monkey  (like bigfoot)  but its less frequent as time goes by.    great post and great victory.      diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

PaulaToronto
on 3/18/14 7:13 am - Toronto, Canada

Congrats on four years.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Most Active