HELP! Freaking out over here...

veggiegal10
on 4/1/14 11:23 am, edited 4/1/14 11:40 am

I originally had VSG in 2009.  Ever since the surgery, I had frequent heartburn which got increasingly frequent and terrible to the point I had daily heartburn which wasn't responding to antacids.  After several visits with a different surgeon, he determined (through scans) that there was at minimum an extra portion at the top of my stomach where acid was collecting and then, going back up my esophagus leading to the heartburn.  He thought a second procedure would help seal that off and give me a better quality of life.   I just got home from the hospital this morning after having, essentially a second VSG procedure...which is pretty miserable.  I guess from what the doc said, my stomach hadn't really been sealed that well the first time around, and that a portion of the original stomach was still there creating an extra pouch, which was the reason for the repeated heartburn I was having.  I also had developed a hernia.  I originally lost 60 lbs or so and have gained a large portion back, but I'm as active as I've ever been and so, scale notwithstanding, I feel and am pretty healthy (no significant meds, no heart issues, no diabetes etc).  It turns out that with my level of physical exercise since the surgery sometimes I wasn't eating ENOUGH calories to burn and hence lose weight (which I figured out after meeting with a Registered Dietitian and reviewing my diet).    I know the surgeon now was focused on getting me to be able to loose a little more afterwards, but I think he believed that I had gone back to eating too much because of the size of the stomach/the extra space that was there which shouldn't have been. Maybe I should have been more specific, which I'm now regretting, although I did tell him I was pretty active.
When I asked him how big it was now, he said the size of his thumb.  I am already freaking out about having to figure out how to eat all over again; and now, how in the world I'm going to be able to eat enough (~1200 calories) with such a tiny stomach OR if it will stretch a little.  I think it was originally larger than some peoples but the original surgeon factored in my age, lifestyle etc.

Ok, please tell me that its possible to eat enough for such an active lifestyle and what you all recommend or tips on how to get enough protein in with a stomach the size of a thimble...kind of regretting do this at all at this point....   Thanks!

frisco
on 4/1/14 11:55 am, edited 4/1/14 11:55 am

He was probably referring to the diameter of his thumb......

I think your fortunate to found somebody that could fix the shape of your sleeve.

Some of us get crap on this board for saying that all sleeves are not created equal...... the size and shape of the sleeve is VERY IMPORTANT to create proper food flow.

He fixed two things that is very common with the VSG that can lead to reflux.

Aggressive repair of a hiatel hernia and narrow at the top of the sleeve are very important factors to keep food and acids going "down".......

I would argue that you weren't losing weight because you were eating to little. 1200cals a day is "high" for the WL phase. A few have done it..... most don't do well on that amount. 1200cals is normally a start point for maintenance with the majority of VSG patients.

In a nutshell...... I think it sounds like the procedures you just had are some good fixes and your going to be on your way !!!!!

Stop freaking !!!!

Just remember..... you have fresh new staples..... liquids just like the first time !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

veggiegal10
on 4/1/14 12:21 pm

To clarify,  initially, I wasn't eating 1200 when I was losing weight.  After I started gaining it bac****pt cutting more and more calories.  I got really frustrated about why I was working out so much, eating so little and not loosing.  Turns out you can eat too little when trying to lose weight. 

Last month and this month (March) I started loosing again making sure to eat 1000 or 1200 calories.  I typically work out 4-5 days a week, including, biking, martial arts, swimming, running etc so 1200 currently isn't too high.

Thank you though for the encouragement, I am hoping these fixes get me what I wanted from the beginning without the heartburn.

stephanieplum
on 4/1/14 12:26 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

You're one of lucky ones then if you can lose weight eating 1200 calories.  I can't lose eating that amount even with exercise.  Give your body some time to heal.  I might imagine it's almost like starting over again.  Take care.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views