First psychologist appointment today

gabby169kitty
on 4/1/14 12:19 pm

I had a great appointment with the psychologist today. Between all kinds of paperwork and seeing her I was there for 2 hours. I have seen her in the past for weight loss and was thinking that maybe I wouldn't have as many visits with her BUT I will see her 1-2 times a month until surgery (7 months or so). It's not mandatory but the extra visits will only help me. Since I've seen her before we can build on the skills I already learned. I'm not seeing her just for fitness for surgery reasons, I'm seeing her to help me make the necessary changes before surgery. She's pretty much leaving the fitness for surgery determination up to my regular therapist since she knows me better. The psychologist I saw today will be in contact with my regular therapist so they know who's working on what and to make sure I don't get conflicting information. I know both of them will tell me they talked to the other and what they talked about.

Of course she asked me tons of questions and asked me about eating patterns. I love my diet Pepsi, diet Dr. Pepper, diet Mt. Dew and Chery Coke Zero and she asked me if I was sure I could give it up. I'm sure I can. I've already started drinking the Lipton Diet Green Tea and am starting to develop a craving for it. Maybe I can use that as a transition off caffeine. When I get my paycheck on Friday I'm going to buy some 100% fruit juice and start drinking diluted fruit juice, which is what they want me to drink the first week after surgery. I think one of the first dietary changes I want to make is to get used to drinking the post op fluids throughout the day. 

She reminded me that not everybody loses weight and she has seen people who have gained shortly after surgery. She's making sure I don't have that "this surgery is going to fix everything" thinking. To which I told her I view it as a tool.

Am I looking forward to making all these changes? Yes, for the end results. No because I'm changing habits and thinking patterns I've had for 20-30 years and undoing those kind of patterns takes a lot of hard work!! Of course I'd like this to be as easy as having surgery but that's just magical thinking.

Calaska
on 4/1/14 1:52 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I think you are right that it never hurts to see your physc. To be able to get some insight on why we eat, or other daily behavior or habits, is so valuable to our success. 

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/1/14 10:55 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I drank a ton of diet soda before my surgery. I mean I had days where I did 80 to 100 ounces. I stopped old turkey after surgery. I even have the go ahead to drink it here and there if it does not replace my water. I have had no desire I took a sip and did not like how it felt.

Most Active