Coffee Alternatives? Dying over here.....

veggiegal10
on 4/4/14 12:01 am

So, I posted a few days about my revision surgery.  Long-story short I just got re-sleeved to address some issues from the first surgery in 2009, including serious reflux.  I am only 5 days out from this second surgery, and I didn't even ask when I could start having coffee again, if ever, but I'm guessing its not...5 days out. 

However, I was not required to stop having coffee any length of time prior to the surgery and I was at least a 2C a day drinker (love my iced coffee!) up until the day before the surgery.

So, in addition to now feeling fatigued, I have caffeine withdrawal headaches which are a monster.  I'm not opposed to letting the caffeine withdrawal run its course and subsequently giving it up for some time, but right now getting through it a little easier would be great.  I'm still on liquids, so I'm making sure to stay hydrated which should help a little but it doesn't totally replace my routine caffeine fix. 

Anyone have similar issues?  I've thought about pills like no-doz or other caffeine substitutes but don't know if anyone had any experience with them.  Or any other recommendations?

Thanks.

B_Vixen
on 4/4/14 12:20 am - MA
VSG on 07/10/13

Atkins has a mocha java protein shake... I'm not sure if it has caffeine but if you miss the taste of coffee it could help. 

M1 -23, M2 -17, M3 -10, M4 -11, M5 -10, M6 -3, M7 -5, M8 ?

jameas
on 4/4/14 12:46 am

I have had coffee all along I put my protein in my coffee I have 30 grams before brakfast eeryday coffee has never bothered my sleeve, i even use it to get my protein in, just try a tiny bit to begin right

Sandy M.
on 4/4/14 1:58 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

You could also try putting a tablespoon of instant espresso in your chocolate protein shake - it bumps up the flavor!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

veggiegal10
on 4/4/14 3:52 am

I wouldn't have thought of that.  Thanks!  Maybe I will try that until I get the formal word from my doc about straight up coffee.

KevinBacon
on 4/4/14 2:19 am
VSG on 03/10/14

There is no hope. You have to tough it out until at least the 6 weeks mark. There will be bad days, but also good. You can put coffee flavored things in to try to trick yourself but caffeine itself is a no no. At least by my doctors (and it seems many others). Ask your surgeon and NUT. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

mickeymantle
on 4/4/14 2:50 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

black decaf was on my clear liquids list , any decaf was on full liquid and I was allowed regular coffee after 1month but was told only a few cups a day , I tend to mix regular and decaf (half cafe) at the store before grinding it , I like to mix different favors together 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

emelar
on 4/4/14 3:07 am - TX

Call your doc and ask.  I was given coffee for breakfast in the hospital - in the bariatric ward.  Some docs want you to wait, some don't, some don't ever want you to drink coffee again.

veggiegal10
on 4/4/14 3:56 am

Thanks everyone.  Given the reflux issues which I'm hoping to resolve from here on out, I figure tempting my new tummy too early would be a bad idea (short term pain for long term gain). 

I see the surgeon's NP on Tuesday for my first post-op and I will ask her then about coffee.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views