How long can you take off work and reasonably start working again with minimal pain?

asfgsp
on 4/5/14 7:08 am - Willow Grove, PA

I am looking into going to Dr. Aceves.  However, I am not working now but expect to be soon and I am wondering if I should get the procedure done now.  How many days does it realistically take to feel good enough to work? What would everyone recommend?  Also, unfortunately, it looks like I may have to travel on my own as no one is free.  Do you think this is extremely unwise?

One more question.  How do you keep up your motivation or even know what exactly you are supposed to be eating post op once you arrive home so that you are not going to gain the weight back?  Thanks guys!

Jennifer E.
on 4/5/14 8:11 am

I took 11 days off (went back on a Friday).  I should gave taken two weeks at least.  I tire out quick!  I am 3 weeks out this Monday. I know what and how much to eat bc my dr office sent me home with a packet of stage 1,2,3 foods at my first visit. I also call my nutritionist with any questions.  Good luck to you!

Jennifer:  HW:  252     SW: 244.   CW:  168

Surgery Date:  3/17/14

asfgsp
on 4/5/14 9:13 am - Willow Grove, PA

Hi Jennifer,

Great, thanks so much so for replying and letting me know.  I appreciate it.

~Jen R.

mkvand
on 4/5/14 9:14 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I second the recommendation to take two weeks off.  I didn't have much pain, but was very tired until the end of the second week.  This assumes the job you get doesn't involve heavy lifting.  If it does, you'll need more time. 

I went to Mexico on my own, and had no issues.  The surgeons specialize in medical tourists, so they have resources available to help you.  Just remember to ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport.  That way airport staff will wheel you from terminal to terminal and help with the luggage. 

As for managing food, most people aren't hungry after surgery, which makes it much easier to stay on plan.  I do still get hungry, but I also get full on very small amounts and stay full for hours.  The surgeon should give you a post op meal plan.  Mine was one week clear liquids, two weeks full liquids, one week soft foods, then I could introduce regular food as tolerated.  Like most people around here, my surgeon recommends eating dense protein first, then adding low carb veggies if you have room.  There are surgeons with more liberal plans, but their patients tend not to lose as much weight.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

KathyA999
on 4/5/14 9:35 am, edited 4/5/14 9:35 am

It depends what you do for a living.  I have an office job.  I also went to Aceves (traveled on my own, btw, and no problem).  I flew down on Sunday, had my surgery that Monday, came home Thursday and didn't work at all.  Worked from home the following week, and then went back to the office.  I don't remember having a lot of problems with fatigue, but basically I was just sitting at a computer screen all day.

I live alone, and going to Mexico alone wasn't a problem.  I had two other "surgery sisters" who arrived at the same time, and then of course there were people who had arrived previously (and there will be people arriving the days after you).  The two ladies I arrived with were strangers but we quickly bonded, and ended up walking together, comparing notes, etc.  Neither had a traveling companion.  I had arranged for friends to stay with me for a week or so once I got home (a married couple who are retired and travel all over the world), but I didn't really need their help, as it turned out.

I used this board for a lot of my motivation, although by the time I had my surgery I'd been on here for probably a year, I guess. A lot of that was lurking before I joined.  But I got a good idea of what to eat, and was highly motivated to start with.  Aceves gives guidelines, especially for the first 30 days (10 days clear liquids, 10 days all liquids, 10 days soft/puree, then all foods as tolerated but start out slowly).  And he gave us a little speech once we were settled in our rooms about what it takes to be successful.  All of which I already knew.

The general guidelines that work for most people, once you're cleared to eat all foods, is 600-800 calories per day, under 40 gm carbs, at least 60 gm protein, and at least 64 oz fluids (including any protein shakes or other liquids you drink).  YMMV.  It will take several weeks to build up to this level, don't expect yourself to hit these milestones right away.  By far the most important thing, though, right away is to stay hydrated.  Protein can wait, vitamins and supplements can wait, but lack of fluids will land you in the ER faster than you can say "But it's so hard to drink!" LOL!  Sip sip sip.

The only way to make sure you're on track with your food plan, IMO, is to track using a tool like My Fitness Pal or Sparkpeople or something, and measuring/weighing things.  Amazing how eyeballing can be seriously inaccurate!  :-)

Good luck!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

mickeymantle
on 4/5/14 9:51 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

most people say 2 weeks unless you work from home , there is no lifting of more than 10 lb for 6 weeks

many people have diarrhea  till they start eating solid food my paln was all food after 2 weeks others take more than 1 month 

you will be tired for weeks after , the first week you may need pain killers so no driving , and don't trust your own judgement the first week after anaseasia

while flying home you will want to get up and walk every hour to prevent blood clots , you may want to inform the airline of this medical necessity so they don't get worried about your strange behavior

your going to one of the best surgeons in Mexico and al, should go great , just make shore that you pcp will take care of your post op need some will not if you go to Mexico so check and find a new one if you need to now   

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

afua1000
on 4/5/14 10:22 am

Hi, had my surgery almost a month ago with Dr. Aceves, and travelled alone. They take great care of you, and there's absolutely nothing to worry about. You will be given a binder with the different food stages and recommendations. I took 2 weeks off work. I feel tired sometimes but i am only getting about 600 calories in so that's to be expected. Dr. Aceves also recommends 2 weeks off work. Good luck on your journey. You will do great.

gsp8610
on 4/5/14 11:05 am

I took one week off. I have a desk type job with no lifting. Good luck!

Most Active