VSG 3 years later update

jbskaggs
on 4/21/14 1:37 am - holt, MO

Three years ago (in March) I had the VSG.  Lost 135 lbs pretty quick.  Than about a 18 months in I stalled mentally and physically.  Then my trusty scale broke.  SO I just pretty much quit.  I went back to living off mainly carbs: chips, bread, Sonic Cream slushes, Starbucks Java Chips, pizza etc.  In other words becuase I was driving four or five hours a day I just gave up trying to diet and just began living off of drive thru stuff.

Plus I never got over head hunger, ever.  So each day I would eat a little more till I became accustomed to the pain.  So now 3 years later I can eat roughly the equivalent of a happy meal.  But I found myself snacking constantly on things like chips and shakes.  Sick of the reflux and clothes getting tighter I bought a scale and only soft / liquid foods for this week to sort of restart the process.  So after weighing myself this morning: I gained back 36 pounds and gave myself lots of acid reflux.  I am at 319 lbs versus the 283.

So I am going to give my tummy a break this week and eat soft foods only, and start tracking and watching my weight again.  

Here is what works for the VSG:

Really it did work for me.  I have not had any serious complications, and I cannot eat a lot of food.  Basically I can eat about a cup of food comfortably anything past that is uncomfortable.   So if I just ate healthy I would still be losing.  One of the things that VSG did for me besides food was carbonated drinks.  It is difficult and painful to drink sodas, especially right after the surgery. So I have not had a soda of any type in 3 years.  That by itself has had a tremendous affect on my health.  If I was going to have this surgery again I would do one thing differently:  I would be involved in a  real life support group (face to face time) with other people, so that I could better enjoy the process of diet and nutrition.  I am now trying to start such a group in my church here in Highland, KS.  So I can have a little more fun and encouragement in the battle against bad health.

I appreciate this board and the tools it provides and the support it provides people.

angie M.
on 4/21/14 1:46 am - TX
VSG on 12/02/13

Thanks for sharing!  Take it a day at a time, and get back on the horse.  :)

VSG: 12/2/13    HW: 268  SW: 239  GW: 145 

Stacy_WLS
on 4/21/14 2:11 am

Goo job getting back on track.  I think it is inevitable to fall off plan at some point post op.  But figuring out how to get back on will make us successful long term.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Jackie T.
on 4/21/14 2:19 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Congratulations!  I hope you can successfully start a group in Highland.  My daughter when to HCC.  I am in Topeka.  Good Luck!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

skeller
on 4/21/14 2:44 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

We all know how hard it is to STOP a downward spiral (or really, an upward spiral) with our weight, whether before or after VSG. I admire you for being honest with yourself and for calling a halt to the poor eating choices. Hang in there and turn it around for yourself. We're all rooting for you!

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/14 9:27 am

Good for you! I have had regain, too. This is a lifetime game. Glad your head is back in the game.

Good luck - especially getting that support group started. That will be a big help for you.

Most Active