ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!!

grayC
on 5/1/14 12:09 am, edited 5/1/14 12:16 am
VSG on 05/01/13

WOW!!

I can't believe it's a year that I took the step that saved my life...

for a year now, my life has been nothing but positive, positive change, positive attitude..

a little recap...at the start of this journey I was 225lbs..type 2 diabetic on 4 different diabetes medications one being insulin and still with waking number in the 200-300 range, had high blood pressure, high tryglyserides, 

I felt my body was slowly shutting down, I was in a pit of depression, self-loathing and despair that many days after getting my kids off to school, I either went back to bed and cried, or sat I front of the TV. And sobbed for hours..I didn't want to go anywhere, I refused any invitation that I could, I was uncomfortable and self conscience of my appearance...

my turning point was realizing that my boys where watching me slowly die..withdrawing from life and this behavior was affecting them b/c I never wanted to do or go anywhere..

I had to change..I was so frightened of surgery BUT I had a moment of clarity that put it all in perspective for me..a strong voice popped into my head and said..GRACE! You can be hit by a bus today, NO ONE is promised tomorrow..but if you don't do this you WILL die!

thats all it took..I put my head and heart into it,and the only time I was nervous about it was as I was sitting on the stretcher in my hospital gown waiting to go into surgery..I thought, I'm going to rip these leads out of my arm and run... had a vision of me bare assed streaking down the hall in my hospital gown then laughed and thought I just NEED to see Dr. Seun and I'll be fine..and like an angel he appeard, held my hand and said..you'll be fine..don't worry...

this surgery has been a miracle for most of us here and I'm no exception, I am no longer on any medication, my type 2 is in remission, my blood pressure is normal 118/65... And the tryglyserides which at there highest was a WHOPPING 2400 are now below normal!!!

the weight loss triggered self confidence that I didn't even know I had..if you would have told me that my depression issues would be resolved I would have thought you a fool, but for me it was true..not a blue day since..not one!!

I really wish that this surgery was marketed in a way that does focus on the weight loss but even more on the fact tthat it can and will resolve co-morbities, I think many more people would have the surgery to resolve these issues and in return lead a HEATHIER, HAPPIER life....

Im thinner now the I've EVER BEEN!! The lowest I remember being is 150ish in freshman yr of HS..

the NSV' s where just as enjoyable as the weightloss and even though I've been stalled for 5 months..

I was getting TOOO bogged down fixating on a number and ignoring all I accomplished...

In this time of stall I have noticed my body re-shaping and getting leaner even without a significant drop in weight..

I have to say I'm very happy here now at 140.. I fluctuate up and down3-5 lbs and that's OK..

Im in a size 4-6 depending on cut and a Medium shirt mostly ( I have a couple Smalls) 

if you asked me a year ago where I thought I'd be,

I would have said maybe 160-170 lbs and hopefully a large shirt and 12 pants

and that would have been wishful thinking for me, because I honestly never could imagine that,

my body would reshape into what it has become, I lacked the ability

to see myself and thin and healthy because I was never thin and healthy..

always slightly pudgie to downright obese..

my husband followed me into surgery 6 weeks after me and is down 110 lbs..

I'm SOOO happy we did this together because honestly I don't  think our marriage

would have sustained me loosing and getting healthy and him doing what he did,

eating like he did, wanting the junk..it would have been to great of a change for us,

and I think we would have become resentful towards each other...

there is noting I regret about having this done with the exception that I should have done it sooner!!

if you are reading this because you are considering the VSG..

DO IT!!!

SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!

GET HEALTHY!!

FIND YOUR JOY AGAIN!!

to hell with what other people might say or think..

they don't live your life....YOU DO!!!

And a special HAPPY SURGERVERSARY to my sleeve-sister Cappy ( Carol) 

whos done such a wonderful job herself and is enjoying a well deserved vacation right now!!!

Tracy D.
on 5/1/14 12:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

A wonderful, fantastic post - yeah for you!   I had no idea (or at least I didn't remember) all of the co-morbidities you had and the horrible triglyceride numbers - yowza!   You really were on the fast track to an early death and now you have turned that all around!  

I'm happy to hear that both you and your husband are doing well on this mutual journey.  As you know, my hubby just had the surgery 3 weeks ago and I can already see that it's going to be a good thing for both of us.  

Congratulations on all your success and may the NSVs just keep rolling in 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

grayC
on 5/1/14 11:00 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Those co morbities were going to kill me..sooner rather than later..

My hubby doing this with me made all the difference!

were a team and he doesn't get pissed if I tell him he's eating too much or not following plan..

I'm a very clean eater though, he's more lax on that, he's very happy with his weigh loss, were I for a long time focuses on what I didn't have( damn stubborn last 10 lbs) but I realized I may in a round about way be self sabotaging by not acknowledging all I accomplished but focused on what I still haven't achieved and I was getting pissy that I was putting in a ton of effort with no reward and he was just coasting..but isn't that always the way..men go on diets and loose weight seemingly effortlessly, and we loose a pound LOL

i have a new improved mindset...I don't care about hitting the goal, I never thought I'd be this thin or look this good..and I am do proud of all I accomplished, I don't want to fixate and loose sight of the good!

happyteacher
on 5/1/14 12:27 am

Congrats on a year of momentous positive change! I am so glad to read that you have resolved those comorbidities, and especially that the depression has lifted!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

grayC
on 5/1/14 11:03 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Thank you!  

I went in to this with the intention of hoping that the surgery would at least help w/the type 2..

cherry on the sundae..weight loss!

I can't believe all is resolved!!

i really wished more PCP's would talk up this surgery as a means to control co morbities 

so many more people can be helped live a happier, heslthier life! 

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/14 1:41 am

What a great first post to read today.  Thank you for sharing this with us and I am so happy to read about your success.  Congratulations!!!

grayC
on 5/1/14 11:04 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Thank you Elina!

your words of wisdom have helped me more than you can ever realize!

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/14 1:59 am

What a wonderful year you've had! congratulations!

I'm so happy that you have found your joy! That is so important. I hope that the coming year is just as wonderful for you!

grayC
on 5/1/14 11:12 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Thank you Devon!!

I have to say, you are one of my very favorite people here!

i look for your posts, you come off as kind, loving and supportive..and I'm an original New Yorker

so that's sayin something!!

you are the real deal and I totally commiserate with you on the COOKIES thing..OMG my crack!!

i have found my joy..sad thing though..it's always been here, just bogged down in depression and self hate..

if only...I lost the weight sooner I wouldn't have wasted SOOO much time!!

if only...if only...if only!! I don't let that phrase come to the frontal lobe much, too negative for my new life..

Amber G.
on 5/1/14 2:22 am
VSG on 04/02/14

This was an awesome post!!Thank you for sharing with us!!

Most Active