gallbladder surgery

Bearz
on 5/5/14 2:51 am

I have been seeing posts about the removal of everybody's gallbladder I would just like to know why you are removing your gallbladder.what was the complications to make you take it out?

Tracy D.
on 5/5/14 3:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I don't know about "everybody" but I had my gallbladder removed years before I ever had weight loss surgery.  However, I started getting gallbladder attacks after I lost about 60-70 lbs.  

What made me have it taken out?  PAIN!!!  A gallbladder attacks feels like a friggin' heart attack.  With the two of the attacks I hyperventilated so much that I fainted (I have NEVER fainted in my life except these two times).   And I could pretty much count on a gallbladder attack when I ate any foods that had higher fat in them:  eggs, ice cream, cheese, beef, etc.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Bearz
on 5/5/14 3:43 am

I have been getting the stomach pain gone through my stomach like it hurts so bad but I think I'm going to die. And they get worse every time it happens.

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/14 4:06 am - Canada

Gallstones are common when you lose a lot of weight quickly. Up to 50% of patients will develop gallstones after gastric bypass surgery, and these are usually harmless. Sometimes, gallstones can cause nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. About 15% to 25% of people need surgery to remove their gallbladder after gastric bypass surgery.

Bearz
on 5/5/14 5:10 am

Thanks for everyones help. Iam glad u all helped me.

Gwen M.
on 5/5/14 7:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Rapid weight loss can necessitate gallbladder removal.  

Although I recently read this article and found it really fascinating -- gallbladder and dietary fat -- I had already intended not to go the low-fat route in my diet, but this clinched it for me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

civilmomma
on 5/5/14 7:46 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I had mine out 3 years before WLS.  I had just delivered my first baby and this weird ache started (for 3 weeks), followed by full blown attacks.  I had sludge and small stones.  I had my gallbladder removed in a non-emergency situation, I got my diagnosis and scheduled surgery for later that week.  they gave me pain killers to take for attacks in the meantime.

There is a history of GB disease in my family, so I knew it would be a concern at some point.  A super low fat diet did not stop the pain - so I knew surgery was the best choice for me.

Post-GB removal my stools got looser, more urgent at times, but the insane GB attacks were gone. 

GB attacks hurt worse than labor contractions and vaginal delivery of an 11 pound baby.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Most Active