Wow- What a Week! I am FINALLY SLEEVED.

LakeErieGirl
on 6/24/14 11:24 am, edited 6/24/14 11:31 am
VSG on 06/17/14

I am so glad I did this! I can't believe its been a week already.Sorry if this is long. It helped reading stories even though everyone's stories were different! Last Tuesday, June 17th I had my VSG. I am so glad that I did! It was a long road to get here, but it was worth it!! I started this journey at 270 on the day of my consult back in January at the Cleveland Clinic. The CC is so backed up with people it takes this long to get your surgery date!

The day of surgery I weighed 242. I lost almost 14 pounds during my pre-op diet. It was rough for me because I did gain weight during my pre-op diet. I became very ill. My potassium was extremely low and I was put on medication. The medication made me gain weight. It was awful and I was retaining fluids! I lost a bunch of weight and then 5 days before surgery when I had my blood work, the nurse called me and said that my doctor might not be able to do surgery unless they could get my potassium levels up! Thank goodness they did!!

On the day of surgery, I was admitted to the hospital, and my blood pressure was wonderful. It was the best it had been the six months even though I was nervous. Weird. LOL.

I was given a given a midline catheter for medication and for the nurses to draw blood. It was nice at first, however after awhile they were not able to use it for blood. It stopped working for some reason in the hospital during my stay. They could use it for my IVs, but not getting my blood from. I had never had one of those before so that was new. I had a nausea patch ahead of time also. However, the patch was put on WRONG! The patch somehow folded behind my ear! It takes 4 hours to take effect. I was given it before surgery since I have always had trouble after surgery. The head nurse in OR was wonderful! She talked to me the entire time. She put my fears to rest soon I was wheeled in. She explained everything to me. I was so happy she was in there with me. My husband was told after the surgery was over that, “ My surgery was easy and by the text book!” I was in and out.

The only complication I personally had was nausea. I was given the dilaudid pain pump. It worked great, when I did pu**** (Which I would forget to) I was extremely nauseous during the first few days and they said it was because of the medication. One reason was because the patch wasn’t put on right. I sent home with Zofran and the patches and I only used them the first two days it was fine! I was up within 3 hours after surgery walking short distances. I was home 2 days after surgery. I was not allowed to take a shower at all in the hospital. Honestly, I did not care! I am one who takes a shower 2 times a day, and really this didn’t bother me. I asked and they said they couldn’t let me. Doctor’s orders. Also, I took so much stuff. I never changed! I never used anything! I was in the hall in their gown. I didn’t care who saw me. I was worried at first but you feel are so drugged up it doesn’t matter! Plus you are walking and no one is paying attention! I was on a Bariatric Floor so people are in the same position. I did brush my teeth a lot though!! My mouth was so dry. It began to hurt. I could not get many liquids in at all in the hospital. It was TOUGH! THEY STAY ON YOU! It’s a constant battle. It hurts. I am not going to lie. However when you are home, I think you are more relaxed.

When I was released I weighed 247. You are filled with so much fluids and gas. My belly looked I did when I was nine months pregnant! It was hard as a rock. I had 3 c-sections, so I knew what to expect in some ways. The first nights home were a little rocky. I was able to sleep in my bed from the start. I only took my pain meds at night the first 3 nights.

I am able to get my protein in and fluids completely! I was able to go to the store the 3rd day and to my 8 year olds little league baseball games 3 times this week. So I am out and about. I am down to 232 so I am doing great I think! I love my sleeve already and it’s only been a week!

Good luck to those pre-ops and those thinking about! I was just like you just a short time ago.

A couple pieces of advice I learned along the way: I refused medication in the hospital! I am on anxiety medication and the nurses kept trying to give me it. I kept saying i didn't need it. I felt empowered telling them NO! If you don't want meds SPEAK UP! You do not have to take anything you don't want!

Also, someone came in my room, and said they always order a CPAP machine after surgery. I can refuse it. Guess what...I did! I never used it before....I sure wasn't going to use it then. So, if you don't feel you NEED something, use your voice.

Another thing, ask why you need something. I asked that several times. I asked What my medication was. Just don't assume! I also had to request medication. Stay on top of them. Thats JMO. My mom is a nurse so I learned from her.

Good luck to all on this weight- loss journey!

Gwen M.
on 6/24/14 11:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cat B.
on 6/24/14 12:16 pm

I'm getting mine done on 6/30 so it's good to hear that you're doing so well so soon after surgery. Thank you for sharing. Best of luck with your recuperation!

sdkitty
on 6/24/14 12:25 pm

Good to hear from you! I was wondering how it went. :)

Kelly Jean
on 6/24/14 1:24 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Kirsten, Congrats Wow its been a week already! !!!! Sounds like your doing great already !!! Way to work it!!! Keep up the great work wooooooo hoooooo! !! :-)

♡ Kelly

Tracy D.
on 6/25/14 2:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Congrats on a successful and for feeling empowered enough to speak up for yourself in the hospital - that's not always easy!  And welcome to the Loser's Bench 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

mhernandez0502
on 6/25/14 2:30 am
VSG on 06/16/14

Congrats!!! I was sleeved on 6/16 at South Miami. My boss was sleeved at CC. Good luck!

HW 253  SW 249.2 GW 150    SLEEVEDGAL2014

Dawn ..
on 6/25/14 8:40 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

Congratulations on your surgery. I am glad it went smoothly and that you are on your way to a speedy recovery. I hope mine goes as well as yours did.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

heartOtexasgirl
on 6/25/14 10:05 am

OMG...surgery for me on June 30 and I want to be like you!  I'm planning on going to the July 4th parade!  Congrats on your new life! 

LakeErieGirl
on 6/26/14 11:54 am
VSG on 06/17/14

Thanks everyone! I am so glad to be on the loser's bench.

5'6" 44 yrs old Heighest Weight Ever - 295 (Pregnancy)

SW-270 lbs Pre-Op -242 lbs CW -224 lbs Goal Weight- 147lbs

Most Active