Chia Seeds

cabcab
on 7/3/14 5:47 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with

I apologize if I'm starting a post that has been discussed before.  It's been a while since I've been on here.  My surgery was 3.5 years ago.  Anyway...  the other day at work this girl had her water bottle and I asked her, "Do you have bugs in your water???"  And she said that they were chia seeds.  They have protein, fiber, calcium and all kinds of other nutrients.  So I tried it and it's great!  After about 10 minutes the seeds get a slimy gel coating and they make drinking water fun!  It's like I'm eating my water.

I have a hard time getting enough fluids.  I don't like ANYTHING with the least little bit of artificial sweetener taste.  I've tried them all and can't do them.  Yuck!  So it's great to have maybe found something that can help me get more fluids.

Does anyone know of a reason that we VSG'ers shouldn't be having Chia seeds in our water?

Thanks

HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

Kfromak
on 7/3/14 6:30 am

I'm not an expert by any means but used to eat chia seeds on my roller coaster diets to fill me up faster as they expand in your stomach if eaten dry. I'm not sure if we should avoid them but have been curious myself.

Merk2017
on 7/3/14 1:28 pm

I use them in my yogurt but I'm 6 myths ou****ch the calories tho as they are pretty high for a small amount.

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/14 4:59 pm

I eat a TBS of Chia seeds in my yogurt every day. I would not recommend them for anyone early out as they are a seed and could easily be caught in a healing sleeve's staple line. I like them for the Omega 3s and for the texture they add to the yogurt. Overall, they are supposed to be quite beneficial in one's diet. I figure I could spend 60 calories a day on things that are far worse!

Tracy D.
on 7/4/14 2:52 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

^^What Kairk said - I eat 1 TB about every other day in my yogurt.  I didn't like adding them to my shakes or other liquids because it seemed like more stuck to the sides of the cup or bottle than I actually ingested.  If this helps you get in your water then I saw go for it.  You're far enough out that there shouldn't be any issues.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

valexi
on 7/4/14 7:30 am - Canada

Great post! My doc says no prob in yogurt at 6 weeks out.. You'll pass them before they expand.

In water once expanded should be fine I guess.. I'm no expert.. 

Love chia seeds great fibre!

puffierus
on 7/4/14 11:02 am - PA

I have a tablespoon in my yogurt every morning for fiber and the Omega3. They must take weeks to completly digest because once when i got see either much wine or food posioning i threw up 20 times in one day and all i saw was chia seeds each time

HW 268   SW219   CW 181.2 surgery date 10/31/2013

:<span class=

puffierus
on 7/4/14 11:03 am - PA

I have a tablespoon in my yogurt every morning for fiber and the Omega3. They must take weeks to completly digest because once when i got see either much wine or food posioning i threw up 20 times in one day and all i saw was chia seeds each time

HW 268   SW219   CW 181.2 surgery date 10/31/2013

:<span class=

Most Active