Is this in my head?

trinoc
on 7/29/14 7:39 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

So, I don't really get hungry anymore, like many of us.  But I have noticed that there are times when I start to obsess about food.  When this happens, I check the clock and notice it's been 5-6-7 hrs since I've eaten.  Do you think this is my body's way of reminding me to eat or is it just possibly habit that I realize I haven't eaten in a while and want the experience?  Anyone else do this at all?

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

frisco
on 7/29/14 8:06 pm

Looks to me like a blessing in disguise........

I've done it about every which way at this point and find that extended meal times works best "for me".

Basically 3 meals a day..... Gee.... what a concept !!!

The problem "for me" and what I notice with others that eat every couple of hours..... is that you tend to get hunger every couple hours. Doesn't matter if it's mental or physical hunger.... it's a signal to want food.

I find extended meal times pretty much eliminates "frequent" hunger and the hunger is much lighter. A very civilized ..... "yes, I'm ready to enjoy a meal" type hunger....

To me, your golden..... 7 hours may be a little much, but your right in the ball park !!!

My skinny nephew forgets to eat meals.... pre-op I never forgot to eat !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

trinoc
on 7/30/14 5:40 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Yes, I agree about timing.  I don't feel a need to snack, my bloodwork is awesome other than Vit. A being a tad low.  I did add a veg snack to handle that because at meals I don't have capacity for veg.  If it works, I'll continue.  If not, I'll skip it and just go to a supplement.  I'm very happy with the long meal times, though.  I have plenty of energy and it just seems to really work for me.  Thanks for the input!

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

TexasTerritory
on 7/29/14 8:51 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I have only my personal experience to share. Although my doctor's plan calls for three meals with two snacks, I only eat three times a day. I never did snack or graze and can't seem to develop the habit post-op.

I find that I am the 'hungriest' in the morning so I consume more then. But later throughout the day, I tend to forget about food. I eat to get my protein.

I do think the body has ways of letting us know when it needs fuel.

trinoc
on 7/30/14 5:44 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Yeah - I seem to do best when I go w/ my own signals, too.  I seem to be "hungriest" at the mid-meal.  

Tricia

gblakeney
on 7/29/14 9:01 pm

My Nut told me she did not want me to go more than 3hrs without eating something. She has me eating 6 small meals a day. Two reason being, 1. is you do not let your blood sugar get too low and then you become really hungry and want to over eat. 2. it keeps you metabolism elevated all day.

trinoc
on 7/30/14 5:58 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Thanks for the input!  My Nut doesn't have a plan as long as I'm meeting my protein and water goals.  (I am.)  So I like the meal spacing that I'm using.  I just am curious about the head stuff.  haha

Tricia

Tracy D.
on 7/29/14 11:33 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

No idea if it's your body triggering you or just a "habit".  But going without eating for 7 hours - while sometimes that has to happen - is not usually the best thing for your body or brain, especially once you get to maintenance.  The brain needs fuel!  I say it all time to newbies -- eat on time and eat on a schedule, whether you feel hungry or not.  

I can only speak for myself.  As a Type II diabetic managing my disease with diet and exercise, I have to keep my blood sugars stable with 3 meals and at least 2 snacks per day.  Otherwise I get crazy blood sugar dips and start to feel shaky and out of it.  I'm at my best when my blood sugar stays in the 85-125 level.  I can tell immediately when I'm out of that range.  My doctor is shocked that I don't feel "good" when I get into the 130's and 140's because that's considered "normal" post-meal readings for most people.  But it doesn't feel good to me - I can tell I'm not as focused and get real sleepy.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

trinoc
on 7/30/14 6:01 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Yeah - 7 hours is a little long, granted, but 5 and 6 are really comfortable for me.  More often than that and I feel like it's forced and extremely uncomfortable.  I do drink coffee w/ carbmaster milk in between meals - and that's a little bit of caloric and protein energy so that keeps me good as far as brain function.  I'm lucky enough to not have blood sugar issues to have to work around.  I know that has to be tough!  

Thanks for the input, Tracy!  I respect your views so much!  I'm just trying to figure out if this obsession is still my food issues or if my body is giving me signals that I need to pay more attention to.  I am still learning!  

Tricia

hollykim
on 7/30/14 2:00 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

this is exactly what happens to me when I need to eat . I start thinking about food and looking round for anything. I make myself eat a meal ,protein that is on my plan and then I stop looking for something.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views