Was sleeved 4 days ago, pain when I drink anything

Sassy75
on 8/14/14 2:05 am - North York, Canada

Hi everyone, I was just sleeved on Monday, but everytime I drink anything, I has a Gaia pain come back up. Sometimes it is managable other times it is really painful. I am on Prevacid. Started that today. I told the surgeon, he said this is normal. Has anyone else has this? And how long did it last?

Texasgirl321
on 8/14/14 2:19 am

Have you tried different temperatures of your drink.  Some people say room temperature or warm go down easier.  I was sleeved 8/4 and luckily didn't have any issues.  My doctor also gave me a pill called hyoscyamine that was for esophageal spasms. I really didn't use them except in the hospital because they insisted I needed them.  

Janet

Janet

Tracy D.
on 8/14/14 2:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I didn't experience it but my husband sure did.  It took a good week or so for it to calm down for him.  Like the OP said, maybe try different temps of liquid to see what slides down best.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

redhatnation
on 8/14/14 2:47 am
VSG on 07/29/14 with

A little pressure and even pain seems to be normal after surgery.   Three days after surgery, if I drank too much or too fast, I would get a pressure feeling right around the top of my abdominal area.  My fix was to take smaller sips.  The problem eventually went away as my stomach healed.

As another poster said, try different temperatures.  Try to reduce the volume of your liquids -- remember we have to sip, sip, sip.  If you're having trouble with liquid portions, try a shot glass. 

Donna H.
on 8/14/14 5:08 am - MI
VSG on 08/04/14

I had the same thing. It lasted about 5 days. I was sleeved on Monday (the 4th) and by Saturday, it was gone. Warmer fluids, even room temperature, and smaller sips helped me.

5'6" ConsultW: 312.4 (3/29/14) VSG w/ Dr. K Krause: 287.4 (8/4/14) 

Pre-op: -25 M1: -16.8 M2: -10.8 M3: -14.4 M4: -7.3

Sassy75
on 8/14/14 6:38 am - North York, Canada

Thank you so much everyone for your replies!! It makes me look for that light at the end of the tunnel :)

TheNewT
on 8/14/14 9:21 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Oh yes I had this. No matter how small of a sip... here comes the gas pain. No matter what bbeverage and no matter what temperature... gas pain. What helped me was to walk when I drank. I would sip and get my legs moving. Stop. Sip. Walk. That helped a lot. Now it is so much better. I was sleeved August 4th.  By August 13th the problem is almost fully resolved. 

ElizaM
on 8/14/14 10:39 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Everything but broth did this for me. Cold water and protein shakes were especially painful. It felt like cramps as soon as they hit the sleeve. It resolved after a week.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views