BE GENTLE!! 2 years out and gaining.

Pinkchickadee
on 8/24/14 1:51 pm

I  have been  off OH  for a  while. I  was   hesitant to  come back  because I watched so many  people  get their butts handed to them  when they admitted they had  gained  weight back, how ever  here I am  so  please  be  gentle.   I lost 97  total and  have  gained  back 20.  I  have  been  slowly gaining  for a  while  but a  few  months ago I  got a  stress fracture in my  foot  which has  brought my  exercising to a  screeching  halt and  my total  weight gain to 20 pounds. I would love any thoughts on  how to  get  back on  track ( I  tried to  join the Back on Track group  last  week  but  haven't  heard back) and  any  exercise that  burns  calories  that  doesn't involve feet? ;) 

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

Mommydoo
on 8/24/14 2:03 pm - OR

Believe me, I am not one to give advice, but as far as exercise that does not impact your feet - try floor Pillates.  It was created originally for bedridden. But works your core like crazy and is awesome strength and resistance exercise!  Perfect for Bariatric patients :)  Hope this helps.

Pinkchickadee
on 8/24/14 2:05 pm

Thanks so much! I'll  check that  out. 

MissNexxie
on 8/24/14 2:19 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Look for information online for chair/seated exercises. There's also DVDs out there.  I think all you may need is a good chair, some resistance bands and some hand weights. There's also a tread peddler you can get which is like a mini elliptical that is small enough to fit under your desk. Definitely can be used while sitting and provides a degree of cardio.

Don't sweat the weight gain, you are aware and ready to get back on board and that's what counts. Don't let the judgy people get you down, either. They're like reformed smokers who've forgotten how hard it is to quit. You can do this! Food wise, write stuff down and start with eliminating or cutting back on one or two things that you know are not helping and go from there.  Be gentle with yourself and respect your body's need to heal.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Pinkchickadee
on 8/24/14 2:21 pm

Thank you.  I  will check out  those options and  thanks  for  your  encouragement. :)

Dreamingofbeaches
on 8/24/14 2:33 pm, edited 8/24/14 2:33 pm
with

How about swimming?  That should be good with an injured foot, I would think. 

As to the gain, I am still pretty new, almost 8 weeks post-op, so I don't have any great tips. Don't let negative people get you down. We are all supposed to be here to help and support each other.  Do you track your calories, protein and carbs with something like my fitness pal?  It seems like that would be a good starting point, to see what you are actually consuming, that way you know where to start adjusting.  Good luck!  You got this!

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

trinoc
on 8/24/14 9:49 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

This!

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Pinkchickadee
on 8/25/14 2:18 pm

Thanks!  I logged my  first full day in MFP today and I  was under calories. Yay!!   Thanks for the  feedback and support.  :)

Linda B.
on 8/24/14 4:30 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I have known people, both WLS people, and those who have not had WLS gain after an injury had them sidelined. The above suggestions are great, do what you can, watch what you are eating, particularly carbs that are not nutrient dense, and be sure you are getting in your water. It will be easier to re-adjust after you can use your feet again.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

White Dove
on 8/24/14 6:45 pm - Warren, OH

Many people who have RNY lose about 100 pounds and then gain back 20 pounds during the third year.  There seems to be a similar pattern for people with the sleeve.  For me, exercise makes me feel great but makes no difference in my weight.  The only thing that works for me weight wise is counting calories.  If I eat more than I burn, then I go up.  If I eat less I go down.  If I eat 500 calories less per day that what I need, at the end of the week I lose one pound. 

I maintain 136 pounds at 1400 calories a day.  I lose 1/2 pound a week on 1250 calories a day.  I lose a pound a week on 900 calories a day.  I gain a pound a week if I eat 2000 calories a day.  It took me an unbelievably long time to accept this.  I went to the doctor, joined gyms, did Weigh****chers, tried South Beach, Adkins and the Virgin Diet.  In the end, the only thing that works for me is restricting calories and weighing myself every single morning.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views