Night Hunger

AutumnAlways
on 8/26/14 1:28 am

Hi everyone,

I have been working out five times a week. I noticed that since I upped my routine, my appetite has increased. I work out in the mornings or early afternoon. Mostly I'm just thirsty, but then I crave a snack. At dinner I find myself not as hungry, bug by 8:00 I'm craving carbs like crazy.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to kick the late night carb cravings? They're killing me!

Thanks, and have a great day!

Nottooskinnyplease
on 8/26/14 1:36 am

I feel hungry at night too.  That is when I snacked the most pre-surgery.  I am fairly certain it is head hunger.  I just plan my day around an evening snack. I have a greek yogurt.  I found one called Light n Fit that has only 80 calories and comes in a few flavors that do not have chunks of fruit in them (I can't eat that right now)  I also use sugar free popsicles.  Perhaps at some point I am going to address this evening head hunger but for now my snacks satisfy me. 

Tracy D.
on 8/26/14 1:45 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'll tell you what I told my husband who just got sleeved in April and has always been an after-dinner snacker....plan for it!   If you can't change it or don't want to change it then plan around your "hungry" time.   Plan on having a snack after dinner and just make sure it fits into your plan.  

Protein bars (I know - double-edged sword on those), greek yogurt, whip up some of Shelly's protein ice cream or egg bites, sugar-free popsicles.  Now that I'm further out and in maintenance I'll do a Wasa cracker with some natural peanut butter.  Yum! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

cappy11448
on 8/26/14 1:53 am

I've always had the most trouble with wanting to eat in the evenings. So early on, I shifted my meal times so I have dinner at 7pm,and then I crush my vitamins and mix them in a 1/3 cup of  greek yogurt and a little sweetener at 9pm.  Then I go to bed at 10pm.  I think you just need to find a ritual that works for you.  Find something you can eat that will distract you from the carbs. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

SATXVSG
on 8/26/14 2:04 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

Pickles are my go to 9PM snack.  Low carb/calorie with a nice crunch.  Costco has the best pickles from James Coney Island.  Either those are Vlasic cold pack.  Hmmm, time for a mid morning pickle.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Nottooskinnyplease
on 8/26/14 2:08 am

I don't know if they are available in your area but if they are try Milwaukee's Pickles.  I love the midget dill.  

LovesDoggs
on 8/26/14 2:32 am - Clayton, CA

Night eating was/is my issue too.  I'm finding that if I eat 2 oz of protein as I watch TV every night it seems to help.  I put 2 oz of salmon, chicken, bass, etc. in little rubbermaid containers and stack them in the fridge.  I find them very grabbable at night.  I also like putting Stevia in plain greek yogurt.  I think it tastes like cheesecake.  :)  I also snack on jerky at night.   Lately I've been treating myself to Whole Foods Terriakki (sp?) chicken skewers.  I feel like I'm eating dessert they are sooo yummy.

Hope this helps.

T. Kaupp

HW 241 SW 226 GW 140  CW 3/23/15   147   I can do this!!

AutumnAlways
on 8/26/14 3:03 am

Thank you all so much for the great advice! This journey can be tough, but oh, so worth it!

hollykim
on 8/26/14 4:05 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

make yourself eat a protein  heavy meal  at dinner even though you are not hungry. The protein might help u  not crave carbs. The craving could be your body saying it needs fuel and head hunger making you want carbs.

if I start looking around for something carby or just thinking what could I eat, I make myself eat protein first. Often that stops me from just looking for something. My body was signaling indeed fuel but my head was thinking of all the goodies I would like to eat

diane S.
on 8/27/14 4:01 am

yep, like everybody says, eat some protein. it will become habit. gy mixed with a little cup of sugar free pudding tastes like cheesecake. a glass of skim milk works for me. or a protein hot chocolate.  cut the carbs out all day so you end those cravings.   difficult but they will subside.   gl   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active